With LSD and Shaapit, are happy days here again for Bollywood?March 18th, 2010 - 5:10 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
March 18, 2010 (Sampurn Wire): Call it intuition but it seems that there would be happy days ahead for Bollywood, well at least this week. Out of four films that are releasing this Friday, at least three of them look really exciting with a couple of them promising decent box office revenues as well. These are ‘Love Sex Aur Dhokha’ and ‘Shaapit’.
Really, till about three weeks back, there wasn’t much that one would have hoped from ‘Love Sex Aur Dhokha’. However, a terrific title song coupled with some eye catchy promos and very good publicity means that audience is indeed aware about ‘Love Sex Aur Dhokha’. Now that’s a good enough sign in the times when so many films are vying for audience attention in weeks to follow. Anything close to (expected) 50% opening would be a win for this small budget affair.
Similar response for ‘Shaapit’ would indeed make Vikram Bhatt happy who is offering this film as third in the trilogy of his horror films after ‘Raaz’ and ‘1920′. Though the promotion has been lukewarm and the songs too have hardly caught on, the horror genre coupled with good track record of Vikram Bhatt when it comes to ’selling fears’ means that there would be some decent foot falls for the film. The fact here though is that the film has to work really hard based on word of mouth because weeks to come would again have 3-4 releases every Friday.
As for ‘Lahore’, it is a much delayed film and has an unknown cast and crew backing it up. Also the subject is quite niche (kick boxing). Yes, the film looks exciting (courtesy, its well cut promos) but too much of crowd means that from the opening standpoint, one can’t be hopeful of anything more than 20%-30%. As for Sushant Singh starrer ‘Idiot Box’, even this would be quite a challenge. Yet another delayed film, its promos (even though funny at places) indicate that the treatment too has stayed true to the title with the film seemingly made for TV audience only. Don’t expect anything at the box office here!
-Rudhir Burman/ Sampurn Wire
- Bollywood waits for an elusive hit - Mar 22, 2010
- Repeatedly scaring viewers a challenge: Vikram Bhatt - Aug 08, 2012
- What Lies Ahead For 'We Are Family'? Quick Win Or Steady Run - Sep 01, 2010
- Now 'Paathshaala' and 'Phoonk 2' fail - What's the excuse of the week? - Apr 19, 2010
- With 'Haunted', audiences queue up to get terrorised again - May 17, 2011
- 'The Dirty Picture' about rise and fall of 1980s dancing star (Preview) - Nov 29, 2011
- We suffer prejudices in Bollywood: Ekta Kapoor - Jul 03, 2012
- Bollywood unleashes new cinema as viewer tastes change - Jul 07, 2011
- Pooja keen to re-look 'Manzilein Aur Bhi Hain' - Jul 29, 2012
- Shweta Agarwal joins the Bhatt camp with Shaapit - Feb 01, 2010
- Murli Sharma back on Television with Sssshh Koi Hai - Mar 18, 2010
- Ekta Kapoor-Dibakar Banerjee Differ Over Love Sex Aur Dhokha! - Dec 23, 2009
- Arshad and I didn't want anything gimmicky for HTAG promotion" - Dia Mirza - Mar 29, 2010
- Bollywood spine chillers fail to scare (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 26, 2010
- Music Review:Love Sex Aur Dhokha (2010) - Mar 29, 2010
Tags: audience attention, bollywood, box office revenues, cast and crew, dhokha, four films, happy days, horror films, horror genre, intuition, lahore, lsd, niche, promos, raaz, standpoint, sushant singh, terrific title, tv audience, word of mouth