Who’s likely to head to Cannes from B-Town?April 7th, 2012 - 6:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 7 (IANS) The Cannes International Film Festival red carpet is not indifferent to Bollywood presence and this time again a number of celebrities, including Aishwarya Rai, Arjun Rampal and Bipasha Basu are likely to attend the gala, to be held May 16-27.
Arjun is expected to make an appearance at the forthcoming 65th Cannes International Film Festival as the ambassador of liquor brand Chivas, the official partner of the event. He is likely to be accompanied by his designer friend Rohit Bal.
The actor had recently expressed a desire to showcase his upcoming film “Heroine” at the Cannes Film Festival.
“I would love to be (a part of Cannes festival). That is a film that deserves to be there. If ‘Heroine’ can be showcased there, it will be great,” said Arjun.
Directed by Madhur Bhandarkar and co-produced by Ronnie Screwvala and Bhandarkar, the film has Kareena Kapoor and Arjun in the lead roles. Randeep Hooda and Shahana Goswami will also be seen in pivotal roles.
“Heroine” was announced with Aishwarya at the festival last year. But she opted out of the film due to her pregnancy. The director had to replace her with Kareena Kapoor.
However, to keep the red carpet tradition alive, Aishwarya is most likely to grace the French film festival again this time. She has been attending the festival since 2002 as the global face of L’Oreal.
Like Aishwarya, actress Mallika Sherawat has been a regular at the Cannes red carpet, but whether she will attend the gala this year or not is still a mystery.
Bipasha may also attend the festival to promote her debut international movie “Singularity”. Based on the first Anglo-Maratha war of 18th century colonial India, this romantic movie also marks the Hollywood debut of actor Abhay Deol.
This is not the first time that Bipasha would be attending the festival.
In 2007, she walked the red carpet to promote her film “Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal”, along with her co-star and her then boyfriend John Abraham.
Directed by Roland Joffe, “Singularity” has been lined up to be showcased at the Cannes film fest as part of a promotional drive.
The year 2009 saw Karan Johar attending the festival to represent a lifestyle brand. The subsequent year saw Deepika Padukone making her presence felt in traditional Indian wear as the face of a liquor brand.
In 2011, Sonam Kapoor, Minissha Lamba and Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra walked the red carpet.
While Sonam and Minissha were representing the brands they endorse, Mehra’s docu-drama “Bollywood-The Greatest Love Story Ever Told” was screened at the event.
- Saif excited about walking red carpet at Cannes - May 05, 2011
- No 'Heroine' at Cannes film festival: Bhandarkar - Apr 17, 2012
- Looking forward to work with Kabir again: Katrina Kaif (Movie Snippets) - May 08, 2011
- Minissha Lamba to walk the red carpet at Cannes - Apr 29, 2011
- It would be great if 'Heroine' or 'Inkaar' go to Cannes: Arjun - Mar 29, 2012
- Sonam to walk Cannes red carpet (With Image) - May 14, 2012
- Arjun to walk Cannes red carpet with wife - May 08, 2012
- Indian's movie on Bollywood makes it to Cannes - Apr 19, 2012
- Kareena shows different shades of Bollywood 'heroine' (With Images) - Jul 23, 2012
- Karisma learns Urdu for 'Dangerous Ishhq' (Movie Snippets) - May 02, 2012
- 'Heroine' gets A-certificate (Movie Snippets) - Jul 14, 2012
- Designers give thumbs up to Ash's Cannes outfit - May 13, 2011
- 'Heroine' will be a landmark in Kareena's career: Bhandarkar - Nov 16, 2011
- From films to fashion - Cannes rolls out red carpet for all (With images) - May 23, 2012
- Ash, Sonam, Frieda set to dazzle on Cannes red carpet - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: abhay deol, arjun rampal, bipasha basu, cannes festival, cannes film festival, cannes international film festival, colonial india, french film festival, goswami, hollywood debut, international film festival, kareena kapoor, l oreal, liquor brand, madhur bhandarkar, mallika sherawat, pivotal roles, randeep hooda, red carpet, shahana