Whoopi Goldberg praises late Star Trek creator Gene RoddenberryJanuary 16th, 2009 - 2:53 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 16 (ANI): Whoopi Goldberg has praised late Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry for representing black people in his iconic science-fiction show.
Roddenberry, who passed away in 1991, hired African-American actress Nichelle Nichols a lead character in the original 1969 TV series, at a time when the black community wasn”t well represented in sci-fi programmes.
And the Oscar-winner said the TV legends actions inspired her to take on a role in the show’’s successful spin-off, Star Trek: The Next Generation.
“Other science-fiction movies you saw had no black people in them anywhere. Isn”t that something? I wanted to carry on that tradition. It wasn”t until I did Star Trek that people thought I could do sci-fi,” Contactmusic quoted her, as saying.
Goldberg also confessed that her dream job would be a permanent role in sci-fi movies.
“If I could be doing sci-fi and horror all the time I would be doing it. I have loved it since I was little. A good scare is great and I love the idea you can get people to feel things without having to show it to them,” she added. (ANI)
- Bronte's science fiction on display at the British Library sci-fi exhibition - Jun 11, 2011
- Blunt to star opposite Cruise? - Apr 17, 2012
- Tricorder Becomes A Reality In 2010 - Sep 11, 2010
- Scream awards 2011: Harry Potter gets the ultimate scream award - Oct 17, 2011
- 'Star Trek' memorabilia up for auction - Apr 27, 2010
- Peter Andre loves 'Star Trek' movies - Dec 28, 2011
- Leonardo Di Caprio says he's no sci-fi geek - Jul 14, 2010
- Sigourney Weaver's 'Alien' role voted top Sci-Fi Woman of all Time - Jun 05, 2009
- Shayamalan to direct Will Smith, Jaden in next - Apr 05, 2011
- Top honours crown 'The King's Speech' at 83rd Oscars (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2011
- Emily Blunt eyes Bond role - Mar 08, 2012
- S. Shankar On Endhiran - Sep 30, 2010
- No reality show for Sonam (Movie Snippets) - Jun 21, 2011
- Now, Sriram Raghavan dabbles in sci-fi - Mar 21, 2012
- 'Star Wars' TV series put on hold - Aug 07, 2010
Tags: american actress, creator gene roddenberry, dream job, horror, legends, nichelle nichols, oscar winner, scare, sci fi movies, science fiction movies, star trek, star trek creator, star trek the next generation, tradition, trek the next generation, tv series, whoopi goldberg