Who called me Hemu, asks puzzled Hema MaliniMay 5th, 2009 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, May 5 (IANS) While campaigning for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Darjeeling, Hema Malini had a strange experience - passing through a snaky mountainous road, the actress-politician was stunned to suddenly hear a man’s voice call out her pet name ‘Hemu’.
“Just a few people very close to me call me that. I haven’t heard anyone outside my family address me as ‘Hemu’,” Hema, who was campaigning there Sunday, told IANS.
“When I heard that name being called out in the crowd, I quickly turned around to see who it was. But the man had vanished. Woh parbaton mein kho gaya (he disappeared in the mountains),” she added.
Since that old private name has been called out in the wilderness, Hema is haunted by the unique experience of the warm intimacy of a stranger reaching out to her in a crowd. “It was like someone I knew in the past calling out to me,” she said.
Hema says she longs for people around her to loosen up and be relaxed with her.
“After so many years in the film industry I’m tired of being called ‘Hemaji’ all the time. So boring! Not that I want strangers and acquaintances to act over-familiar with me. But there’s a fun side to me which only those very close to me know. When I’m with my daughters on a holiday I become one of the girls instead of their mother,” she said.
At 60, Hema remains unimpressed by her aura.
“I’ve been campaigning round the clock for my party and I am amazed that people still come in droves to see me when I am no longer that beautiful. But that aura you talk about bores me. I want to have fun. Instead of Hemaji I want to be Hemu.”
- "Who Called Me Hemu?" Hema Malini - May 05, 2009
- Hemaji is an 'Iron Woman': Arjan Bajwa - Jun 17, 2011
- 'Tell Me O Khuda' set for Diwali release, Hema unperturbed - Sep 20, 2011
- I always wanted to do double role: Vidya Balan (With Image) - May 24, 2012
- Feroz Khan was the only man who called me baby: Hema Malini - Apr 28, 2009
- Don't want to make any more films: Hema Malini - Aug 24, 2012
- I've no energy to make films: Farooque Sheikh (Interview) - Jan 21, 2011
- It is difficult to find trustworthy staff: Hema Malini - Mar 04, 2010
- Hema Malini performs as Radha for Neeta Lulla at LFW - Aug 08, 2012
- Many big heroes refused to work with me: Mumtaz (Interview Part 2) - Jul 31, 2012
- I worked hard to maintain 'Dreamgirl' tag: Hema Malini - Nov 22, 2011
- Madhoo to turn director by next year - Jul 06, 2012
- Hema Malini's home production in progresses - Nov 12, 2009
- Karishma will well reprise my 'Satte Pe Satta' role: Hema Malini - Aug 02, 2011
- Vyjayanthimala is my role model: Hema Malini - Sep 19, 2011
Tags: acquaintances, actress, bharatiya janata party, bjp, campaigning, darjeeling, droves, film industry, hema malini, kho, mumbai, one of the girls, pet name, politician, private name, strange experience, stranger, subhash k jha, warm intimacy, wilderness