White House describes Indo-US N-deal as critically importantApril 29th, 2008 - 12:16 pm ICT by admin
Washington, Apr 29 (ANI): The Indo-US nuclear deal is critically important and the US will never declare it as dead, said White House Press Secretary Dana Perino here last evening.
Dana said this while replying to a question on the perception in some quarters that the deal may be dead for reasons including the time left to process the initiative in the US Congress.
We are never going to declare it dead because we think it’s critically important, The News quoted her as saying at a press briefing.
Some of the key aspects of the Indo-US civil nuclear deal are:
* The agreement not to hinder or interfere with India’s nuclear programme for military purposes.
* US will help India negotiate with the IAEA for an India-specific fuel supply agreement.
* Washington will support New Delhi develop strategic reserves of nuclear fuel to guard against future disruption of supply.
* In case of disruption, US and India will jointly convene a group of friendly supplier countries to include nations like Russia, France and the UK to pursue such measures to restore fuel supply.
* Both the countries agree to facilitate nuclear trade between themselves in the interest of respective industries and consumers.
* India and the US agree to transfer nuclear material, non-nuclear material, equipment and components.
* Any special fissionable material transferred under the agreement shall be low enriched uranium. (ANI)
Tags: dana, disruption, fissionable material, fuel supply, IAEA, indo, initiative, material equipment, military purposes, New Delhi, nuclear deal, nuclear fuel, nuclear material, nuclear trade, perception, press secretary, quarters, us congress, white house, white house press