When Sanjay Dutt bailed out ‘Aladin’ director Sujoy GhoshMay 15th, 2009 - 12:05 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Joginder Tuteja
While it is common news that Sanjay Dutt plays the role of ‘Ringmaster’ in Sujoy Ghosh directed ‘Aladin’, not many are aware that he was also supposed to star in another film called ‘Borivali’ with Sujoy. Though it’s a different matter that the film never took off and Sujoy went on to make ‘Aladin’, the film maker fondly remembers the time when the actor agreed to work in the film unconditionally.
“A few years back I was supposed to work with Sir (Amitabh Bachchan) on this film called ‘Borivali’. However, it was stuck because of budget. Also, I needed another actor who could stand up to Sir. I had my apprehensions though. Since it was a very dark and disturbing role, not many actors would have wanted to do that role”, remembers Sujoy as he goes back down the memory lane.
Sanjay Gupta (Kaante, Musafir) was the first to lend a helping hand.
Says Sujoy, “In one of our conversations around ‘Borivali’, Gups (Sanjay Gupta) asked me that why hadn’t I considered Dutt saab for the role. Even as I told him that I didn’t have the balls to ask him to do such a dark role, he reprimanded me for not showing courage. In fact he further reinstated my belief by telling me that Dutt saab was just perfect for the role and no one but him would actually have the guts to play that role. He further assured me that he would have a word with Dutt saab on ‘Borivali’”, Sujoy explains the turn of events.
Eventually Sanjay Gupta took Sujoy to a coffee shop where Sanjay Dutt was having a meeting.
“I can never ever forget the moments that followed. I was genuinely nervous as Gups called Dutt saab out. He joined us and soon Gups told Dutt saab that I was in a bit of a problem and that could be solved if he did that role. Guess what Dutt saab said in a split second reaction? ‘Cool bro…I’ll do it’. Now these are some words of reassurance that so much work for you when you are in deep trouble. He didn’t ask for any script or narration. All he needed to hear was that someone was in trouble and he can help that someone. Nothing else mattered for him”, says Sujoy fondly.
This was not the end of the story. Before returning to his meeting, he had further guidance for Sujoy. “As he was going, on his own he guided me: ‘Bro, take a letter from me; it will help you’. Really, no heart gets bigger than this. No wonder, I still have that letter”, concludes an emotional Sujoy.
An co-production of EROS and Boundscript that also stars Jackie Fernandez as the leading lady opposite Riteish Deshmukh, ‘Aladin’ has music by Vishal & Shekhar and is all set for a 24th July release.
- What got Sanjay Dutt excited? - Oct 07, 2009
- Mr. Bachchan approached Sanjay Dutt for 'Aladin': director - Oct 07, 2009
- 'Ringmaster' Sanjay strike fear in 'Genie' Bachchan! - Aug 12, 2009
- Big B gets a blast from the past in 'Aladin' - Oct 12, 2009
- Dutt Tere Ki: Sanjay Dutt Tricked Into Performing A Last Minute Song - Aug 21, 2009
- Saat saal baad- Big B and Sanju baba at loggerheads again - Aug 22, 2009
- You can't stress me out: Priyanka (Movie Snippets) - Dec 29, 2011
- Aladin tickles Sanju's funny bone - Aug 26, 2009
- Director's dilemma - where to fit Sanjay Dutt song - Aug 22, 2009
- Movie Review: Aladin (2009) - Nov 02, 2009
- "Riteish was mighty excited about 'Aladin'" - Sujoy Ghosh - Apr 28, 2009
- Bachchan's 'Aladin' to kick off South Asian film fest in NY - Oct 20, 2009
- 'Ferrari...' reminds Sanjay Dutt of his dad - Jun 12, 2012
- 'ALADIN' drums up the tempo! - Sep 29, 2009
- Sanjay dons lean, mean avatar for new film (With Images) - May 28, 2012
Tags: amitabh bachchan, apprehensions, coffee shop, conversations, deep trouble, film maker, ghosh, gups, guts, helping hand, joginder, kaante, memory lane, musafir, narration, reassurance, ringmaster, saab, sanjay dutt, sanjay gupta