When Manoj Bajpayee was harassed for being differentJuly 9th, 2012 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 9 (IANS) Actor Manoj Bajpayee may be basking in the success of his latest film “Gangs of Wasseypur”, but he rues that the journey was not easy, saying there was a time when he was slammed for being different.
He appreciates the presence of filmmakers like Anurag Kashyap and Dibakar Banerjee for spearheading the change in moviedom.
“This film (’Gangs of Wasseypur’) is very, very special for me for many reasons. Professionally, I believe in this kind of cinema, this is what gets me going,” the 43-year-old said here in an interview.
“But sadly, when I started in 1993 with ‘Bandit Queen’, then ‘Satya’ in 1998, Anurag Kashyap was still assisting in writing and Dibakar Banerjee was not there in the industry…I was the only actor and there was no filmmaker other than Ram Gopal Varma. So, yes, I have been harassed, abused, I have been thrashed. I have taken all the abuses. But today, I am very happy that these filmmakers are there,” he added.
Known for his versatile roles in films like “Satya”, “Shool”, “Aarakshan”, “Pinjar”, “Raajneeti” and more, Manoj is happy that times have changed and sheer ability of any actor gets him work.
“I am very happy that after this film there is so much of talent that is going to get so much of work, so much of recognition because of their ability. They are making so much of news like Richa Chaddha, Huma Qureshi,” said Manoj.
“You haven’t seen much of Nawazuddin Siddiqui. Just wait for part 2 of (’Gangs of Wasseypur’) and everyone will go gung-ho about this guy,” he added.
“Gangs of Wasseypur Part 2″ hits theatres Aug 8.
Meanwhile, Manoj is working in “Chittagong”, “Chakravyuh” and “Shootout at Wadala”.
- I'm born to act, not sing or paint: Manoj Bajpayee - Jan 19, 2012
- 'Gangs of Wasseypur' collection biggest of my life: Kashyap - Jul 06, 2012
- 'Gangs of Wasseypur' to release in two parts: Anurag Kashyap - Aug 20, 2011
- Anurag Kashyap buys his first car - Jun 16, 2012
- 'Shanghai' best film, Dibakar best director: Kashyap - Jun 01, 2012
- 'Gangs Of Wasseypur' - a romp into raw, rugged heartland (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ****) - Jun 22, 2012
- Nawazuddin stays away from Rakhi - Aug 01, 2012
- Manoj Bajpayee takes inspiration from himself - Mar 27, 2012
- Anurag Kashyap To Adapt Mario Puzo's 'The Godfather' - Jun 16, 2010
- 'Gangs...' male dominant, but with strong women: Huma Qureshi - May 19, 2012
- Gangs of Wasseypur very 'desi', fun film: Kashyap - May 03, 2012
- 'Gangs Of Wasseypur' runs houseful - Jun 22, 2012
- Nawazuddin gets late recognition, says it's never too late - Jun 03, 2012
- Wine or script - What made Manoj accept '…Wasseypur'? - May 18, 2012
- '...Wasseypur' premiere gets full house at Cannes (With Images) - May 23, 2012