When Jackman’s curls almost lost him Wolverine’s roleMay 13th, 2009 - 12:29 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 12 (IANS) Hollywood star Hugh Jackman almost missed out on the chance to play mutant Wolverine in the original “X-Men” movie because he had to audition with a perm.
The Australian actor reveals he tried out for the action man role nine months before filming for the first “X-Men” series started that was initially passed over to British actor Dougray Scott.
Jackman thinks it was his hair that put the casting director off.
“I was doing a musical in London at the time, playing ‘Curly in Oklahoma’ so I had a perm in my hair. So I put the hat on to do the audition and about halfway through, the casting director was like, ‘That was great, could you do one without the hat? I can’t really see Wolverine wearing a baseball cap’,” Jackman told IANS in an e-mail interview.
“I took it off and I read about two lines and she goes, ‘Cut, put the hat on - now’,” he added.
However things fell in his stride after Scott, who was then also filming for Tom Cruise’s “Mission Impossible”, had to continue shooting the film, as it overran its schedule.
Producers for the X-men saga couldn’t wait and so Jackman was called for a re-audition for Wolverine’s role.
Jackman got the part and the film began shooting four days after the audition in 1999.
Jackman has since then appeared in the “X-Men” trilogy and revived his roll as the claw-handed mutant in the recently released blockbuster hit “X-Men Origins: Wolverine”.
- Hugh's perm could've cost him X-Men role - May 12, 2009
- Hugh Jackman's perm almost made him lose Wolverine role - May 11, 2009
- 'The Wolverine' to go on floors in October: Jackman - Jul 01, 2011
- Jackman voted sexiest sci-fi star - Sep 02, 2011
- Hugh Jackman ordered to have 6,000 calorie diet for new movie - Feb 04, 2011
- Hugh Jackman Goes On 6,000 Calorie Diet Each Day For Wolverine Role - Feb 04, 2011
- Jackman all praises for new 'Wolverine' film - Oct 08, 2011
- 'X-Men' packs a punch in opening week, earns Rs.14.5 crore - Jun 16, 2011
- Huge Jackman's X-Men spin-off titled 'The Wolverine' - Nov 15, 2010
- Hugh Jackman pulls out of girlie role to bulk up for Wolverine - Aug 18, 2010
- 'The Wolverine' to go on floors next year - Aug 27, 2011
- Hugh Jackman 'eating 6,000 calories a day' for new 'Wolverine' film - Feb 04, 2011
- Hugh Jackman Is Undergoing A Diet Worth 6000 Calories For The Upcoming Chapter Of His Movie, 'Wolverine' - Feb 04, 2011
- Hugh Jackman Backs Out From Avon Man For X-Men Sequel - Aug 20, 2010
- Jackman was first choice to play Jack Sparrow - Dec 06, 2010
Tags: action man, australian actor, baseball cap, blockbuster, british actor, curls, dougray scott, e mail, hollywood star, hugh jackman, mail interview, man role, men series, mission impossible, musical in london, nine months, perm, tom cruise, wolverine, x men