‘West is West’ to open 41st IFFI in GoaNovember 19th, 2010 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Nov 19 (IANS) “West is West”, starring Indian actor Om Puri, will be the opening film at the 41st edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) which kicks off in Goa Nov 22, an official statement said.
Produced by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), director Andy DeEmmony’s “West is West”, is a sequel to the 1999 “East is East”, which was directed by Damien O’Donnel and also starred Puri and Jimmy Mistry, an actor of Indian origin.
Set in Manchester of 1975, “West is West” deals with the father’s worry about his 15-year-old boy, who he believes is turning his back on his Pakistani heritage and therefore decides to take him to the country of their roots.
The film has earlier premiered at the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival and has also had a limited Britain premiere at the BFI London Film Festival earlier this year.
The movie, which stars Puri, Aqib Khan, Linda Bassett and Jimmy Mistry, will be screened at the formal inaugural function. Bollywood filmmaker Yash Chopra will throw open the festival.
Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee will also be present at the inaugural function, the statement said.
- Pakistani women will love me in 'West is West': Ila Arun - Nov 22, 2010
- 'West Is West' an endearing slice-of-life drama (IANS Movie Review) - Jun 09, 2011
- 'West Is West' - good, but not better than 'East...' (IANS Film Review) - Jun 11, 2011
- 'West Is West' producer disappointed with A certificate - Jun 04, 2011
- 'East Is East' to be a trilogy: Producer - Oct 18, 2010
- Ila Arun wants to play Mamata Bannerjee in a film - Jun 08, 2011
- Now Michelle Yeoh sidelined at IFFI function - Dec 03, 2011
- Ajay Devgn to attend IFFI opening ceremony - Nov 21, 2010
- Mithun starrer 'Nobel Chor' to be screened at 55th BFI London fest - Sep 07, 2011
- Vikas Swarup, Om Puri in Cannes limelight - May 19, 2009
- Goa CM ducks queries on Amitabh's absence from film fest - Nov 20, 2010
- Resul Pookutty, Boman Irani plan workshops at film festival - Nov 15, 2010
- Bollywood should also come to Goa for IFFI: Jackie - Nov 23, 2011
- Tags to Raj Kapoor lounge - sponsors chip in at IFFI - Nov 18, 2011
- Abhishek to open London Asian Film Festival - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: aqib, bfi london film festival, british broadcasting corporation, east is east, goa, inaugural function, indian actor, indian origin, international film festival, jimmy mistry, linda bassett, london film festival, mamata banerjee, o donnel, om puri, pakistani heritage, panaji, railway minister, toronto international film festival, yash chopra