Wesley Snipes exonerated of tax fraud, still faces 3-year prison timeFebruary 2nd, 2008 - 5:54 pm ICT by admin
Washington, February 2 (ANI): A federal jury in Ocala, Florida, has exonerated actor Wesley Snipes of federal tax fraud and conspiracy charges.
The court, however, has convicted the Hollywood star on three misdemeanour charges of failing to file a tax return.
The actor is still liable for millions in back taxes, which the government may try to collect in civil court.
“Mr. Snipes has always been committed to doing the right thing, and after this trial is over he’ll make whatever amends are required. This is a man of integrity,” E!online quoted his attorney Robert Bernhoft as saying following the verdict.
Snipes might have had to face a16 year jail term had he been found guilty on all eight counts levelled against him. He may now be sentenced to up to three years in federal prison.
“I’m feeling great. A little confused, but great,” he was quoted as telling People magazine after court.
When asked whether he was concerned about going to prison, the actor said: “I don’t know. It’s nice to be out here with you right now. We live in the moment.”
The report also suggests that the jury decided to acquit Snipes for want of evidence.
“We thought there was sufficient evidence for a conviction on all counts, but obviously the jury disagreed,” US Attorney Robert O’Neill said. (ANI)
- Actor Wesley Snipes ordered to begin three-year prison term - Nov 20, 2010
- Wesley Snipes ordered to begin 3-yr prison term for tax evasion - Dec 02, 2010
- Wesley Snipes Wishes A Fresh Trial On Tax Evasion Charges - Jun 27, 2010
- Wesley Snipes to serve 3-year jail term - Nov 20, 2010
- Court Upholds Tax Sentence Of Wesley Snipes - Jul 19, 2010
- Kenneth Starr's arrest may aid the Wesley Snipes tax evasion case - Jun 27, 2010
- Wesley Snipes wants new trial in tax evasion case - Aug 26, 2010
- "Blade" Star Wesley Snipes Ordered To Serve Three Years In Prison - Nov 20, 2010
- Wesley Snipes' lawyers file fresh appeal against his 3-year prison term - Dec 18, 2010
- Judge Postpones Wesley Snipes' Prison Sentence - Aug 26, 2010
- Wesley Snipes Tax Evasion Case Gets New Twist - Jun 27, 2010
- Wesley Snipes waits for his surrender date - Aug 24, 2010
- Wesley Snipes begins 3-yr prison term for tax evasion - Dec 10, 2010
- Rajat Gupta convicted on 4 counts - Jun 15, 2012
- US actor Wesley Snipes sentenced to three years in jail - Apr 25, 2008
Tags: back taxes, civil court, conspiracy charges, doing the right thing, february 2, federal jury, federal prison, federal tax, going to prison, hollywood star, jail term, man of integrity, misdemeanour, o neill, ocala florida, people magazine, prison time, tax fraud, time washington, wesley snipes