We’re going to see more Bollywood-Hollywood collaborations: Irrfan KhanMarch 7th, 2009 - 10:56 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, March 7 (IANS) Irrfan Khan, who shot to global fame with Oscar-winning “Slumdog Millionaire” and now has another offer from its producers, said Bollywood will see more collaborations with Hollywood following the grand success of the film.
“Look at destiny. Look at the kids! People are going mad over Freida Pinto. The photographers won’t leave her in peace for even a second. Freida has signed American director Woody Allen and Dev Patel has signed filmmaker Manoj Shyamalan. We’re going to see much more Bollywood-Hollywood collaborations in future,” he said, referring to the stars of “Slumdog”.
Irrfan has been approached by Fox-Searchlight, producers of “Slumdog Millionaire”, who want to make another movie with him in the lead role.
“The studio head Peter Rice came to me and said he’d now like to make a film with me in the lead. Do you know Peter Rice is responsible for the film’s (’Slumdog’) release (in the theatres)? Otherwise it was going straight into a DVD release.
“Danny Boyle was in a panic mode and was ready to take the DVD offer. But the makers decided to take the film to Toronto and show it to Fox-Searchlight. They chased me all over the world to get some lines re-done, took the film to Toronto. Luckily Fox-Searchlight loved ‘Slumdog Millionaire’,” Irrfan Khan told IANS..
The fruits of the “Slumdog Millionaire” experience at the Oscars and global box office are already ripening.
Irrfan recalls his association with Resul Pookutty who won the Oscar for best sound mixing. “Resul and I started our careers at the same time. Resul kept working silently for a decade. He deserves this recognition. As for me I was pleasantly surprised to be recognised in LA as the actor from ‘The Namesake’ and ‘A Mighty Heart’.”
(Subhash K. Jha can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Kids in 'Slumdog...' did the trick: Irrfan Khan - Mar 07, 2009
- Pookutty to turn director to tell father-son story - Oct 29, 2010
- Resul Pookutty 's Oscar Experience - Mar 16, 2010
- Pookutty announces three scholarships for film students - Jun 17, 2011
- Now Hollywood's Paul Schrader to make film on Mumbai slums - Jul 16, 2009
- When Freida Pinto lived in fear - Mar 26, 2011
- Resul Pookutty to work on Tamil film '3' - Jan 19, 2012
- 'Slumdog...' experience best for Freida - Aug 15, 2011
- When Freida Pinto went unrecognised - Dec 13, 2010
- Dev helped me handle fame: Freida Pinto - May 08, 2012
- Irrfan says his work, not PR, fetched him international films - Feb 21, 2012
- No Oscar, but Pookutty still had a blast at awards - Mar 13, 2010
- Women don't have shelf life in showbiz: Freida Pinto - Nov 10, 2011
- Dev Patel says he had second thoughts about starring in The Last Airbender - Aug 03, 2010
- Rahman got one Oscar and then the other one was a bonus: Gulzar - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: american director, collaborations, danny boyle, director woody, fox searchlight, freida, global fame, grand success, irrfan khan, lead role, millionaire, mumbai, namesake, oscars, panic mode, peter rice, pinto, shyamalan, subhash k jha, woody allen