We promote wrong films, filmmakers in India: TannishthaMay 27th, 2012 - 6:35 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 27 (IANS) Tannishtha Chatterjee feels Indian films still have a long way to go when it comes to getting recognition in the international arena. The actress, known for her role in “Brick Lane”, points out that the focus is not on the right kind of cinema or actors in the country.
Producer Sheetal Talwar, who produced “Dharm”, has gone on record to say Bollywood representation in the Cannes International Film Festival is of no relevance.
Said Tannishtha: “I think what Sheetal says is to some extent true. However, it is not entirely true. This yer ‘Miss Lovely’ was in the prestigious Un Certain Regard section at Cannes. And even ‘The Gangs Of Wasseypur’ is in the Directors’ Fortnight.
“Having said that, I’d say we haven’t had another Satyajit Ray making a global impact so many years after Ray. We make a 800 films a year. But we’re nowhere globally. Iran produces 25 films per year and their films get noticed everywhere.”
Tannishtha feels Indian films don’t get noticed.
“That’s because we promote the wrong films, filmmakers and actors in India. Personally, if I was not recognized in ‘Shadows Of Time’ and ‘Brick Lane’ in the West, no one would have noticed me at home,” said the actress who has finished filming Ravi Kumar’s “Bhopal: Prayer for Rain”, in which she will be seen with Martin Sheen.
- Our society has double standards: Tannishtha - Aug 08, 2012
- Tannishtha, Nawazuddin win big award at NY film fest - May 31, 2012
- Shooting in Petrozavodsk is a miracle: Tannishtha - Feb 21, 2012
- Bollywood embracing trash of the west: Tannishtha Chatterjee - Jun 05, 2012
- Tannishtha stars in 'Anna Karenina' adaptation - Oct 11, 2011
- 'Bhopal - A Prayer...' will revive memories of tragedy: Tannishtha Chatterjee (Interview) - Aug 23, 2010
- Uday Shankar's widow to attend Cannes for 'Kalpana' - May 12, 2012
- 'Gangs of Wasseypur' set for world premiere at Cannes - Apr 24, 2012
- 'Happi' might be screened at Venice Film Festival: Bhavna Talwar - Jun 18, 2010
- Nila Madhab's 'Jalpari' screened at Marche du Cannes - May 22, 2012
- Don't look like village girl, so not in '...Wasseypur': Kalki - Jun 04, 2012
- In Cannes with three films, Kashyap thrilled but nervous - May 18, 2012
- Emraan very versatile, professional: Huma Qureshi - May 26, 2012
- Now, Tannishtha eyes desi films (With Images) - Apr 10, 2012
- Tigmanshu Dhulia makes acting debut with 'Gangs of Wasseypur' - May 03, 2012
Tags: actors, actress, bhopal, brick lane, cannes international film festival, chatterjee, directors fortnight, gangs, global impact, indian films, international arena, international film festival, martin sheen, mumbai, prayer, relevance, satyajit ray, shadows of time, talwar, un certain regard