We nearly lost Cheryl, says friendJuly 11th, 2010 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 11 (IANS) Singer Cheryl Cole, who is in hospital with malaria, was just hours away from death and her recovery will take a very long time, says a friend.
The “X Factor” judge is still on oxygen, a drip and unable to talk as her fight against a deadly strain of malaria continues in a top London private hospital.
“She’s not out of the woods yet,” a close friend of hers said.
“We nearly lost her and the battle is far from over. She is so weak and this horrible illness has taken complete hold of her,” newsoftheworld.co.uk quoted the friend as saying.
“It got so bad she was literally only hours from death’s door. Thank goodness she was diagnosed in time. Even now she can’t talk. She drifts in and out of consciousness and when she comes round all she can do is sob.”
“There was no news coming out of the hospital because it was all so touch and go. We couldn’t give any assurances to fans because there weren’t any to give,” the friend added.
Fans’ hopes that Cheryl would recover soon were raised Friday when she was released from the specialist tropical diseases unit at London’s University College Hospital and moved to a top private clinic nearby.
But our source said the star was still seriously ill.
“Seeing Cheryl like this is so painful. She could have easily died. And she’s not better, she’s not even close. It’s still a very serious situation,” said another friend.
“The fact she’s been on oxygen for six days now, and is still on a drip, shows how severe things are. She has fluid in her lungs as well which they can’t really treat at the moment because her blood count’s so low.”
“The problem is that her doctors have said her immune system is weak…She’s not in any position to fight even a cold, let alone a tropical bug like this. Her recovery is going to take a very, very long time,” the friend added.
- Malaria-stricken Cheryl Cole 'was only hours away from death' - Jul 11, 2010
- Stir-hit Manipur cries for medicines, doctors helpless - Oct 14, 2011
- Rihanna eager to marry Matt Kemp? - Sep 27, 2010
- Malaria stricken Cheryl to miss 'X Factor' start - Jul 12, 2010
- Cheryl Cole contracts malaria - Jul 06, 2010
- Malaria-stricken Cheryl Cole may pull out of 'X Factor' this year - Jul 07, 2010
- Cheryl Cole thinks she won't find love again - Apr 07, 2010
- Malaria-stricken Cheryl Cole recovering in private clinic - Jul 10, 2010
- Cheryl Cole Criticized For Miming Live Performance - Oct 27, 2010
- Pricne Harry falls for Scandinavian singer? - Oct 18, 2010
- Cheryl Cole bans 'Girls Aloud' pals to see her in hospital - Jul 14, 2010
- Ill Ratan Uses Duplicate For Her Shoot! - Sep 02, 2010
- Malaria-stricken Cheryl Cole 'to take nurse to 'X Factor' - Jul 25, 2010
- Morrison praises Cheryl Cole - May 14, 2012
- Cheryl Cole to help create malaria awareness in Africa - Aug 15, 2010
Tags: assurances, blood count, cheryl cole, consciousness, deadly strain, drip, goodness, horrible illness, immune system, lungs, malaria, newsoftheworld co uk, oxygen, private clinic, private hospital, s university, serious situation, six days, tropical diseases, x factor