We felt like sitting ducks, says Australian actress trapped in TajNovember 27th, 2008 - 4:07 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Nov 27 (IANS) Australian actress Brooke Satchwell, who was in a bathroom at the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower Hotel when terrorists struck, says terrified guests locked themselves in toilet cubicles while people were “being shot in the hallways”. The former star of popular Australian soap opera “Neighbours” is in India on a three-week film shoot. She was in the Taj hotel’s ground floor bathroom when she heard gunfire in the lobby outside Wednesday, reports 3aw.com, Australia’s most listened-to radio station website.
“The staff let us hide in a service cupboard between the two bathrooms. We sat in there listening to matching gun fire,” Satchwell said. The hostage situation at the hotel cleared up only by Thursday afternoon.
“Two of the male staff were sticking their heads out to see what was going on, which was absolutely terrifying. They were coming back and reporting that there was a dead body outside the bathroom and that they were seeing people being shot in the hallways,” she added.
“There was a lot of confusion, no one really knew what was going on and we all felt a bit like sitting ducks,” Satchwell was quoted as saying.
The most audacious terror attack targeted high profile landmarks, including the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower Hotel, Oberoi Trident Hotel, Metro Theatre and the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) railway station killing at least 101 people and injuring over 250. The terror siege continued well into Thursday.
- A quiet dinner, poolside drinks spelt unending nightmare for scores - Nov 27, 2008
- Chidambaram to pay homage to Mumbai terror attack victims - Nov 25, 2010
- Australians in Mumbai terror attacks tell their harrowing tales - Nov 27, 2008
- Australian actress, boyfriend fly out of Mumbai - Nov 28, 2008
- Kasab death sentence: Mumbai court to decide Feb 21 (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Two Australians confirmed dead in Mumbai terror attack - Nov 29, 2008
- Why name Saeed, Lakhvi in 26/11 verdict, asks Jamaat-ud-Dawa - May 04, 2010
- High court to decide on Kasab death sentence Feb 21 (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Three years on, India remembers 26/11 victims - Nov 26, 2011
- Kasab weak, weary ahead of 26/11 verdict - Feb 20, 2011
- 26/11 talked about as it happened in Taj Hotel: Ahluwalia - Nov 26, 2009
- Pakistani Kasab guilty of 26/11, Indians absolved (Roundup) - May 03, 2010
- Kasab held guilty for 26/11, two Indians freed (Third Lead) - May 03, 2010
- Prasoon Joshi pens special poem for 26/11 - Nov 26, 2009
- Kasab guilty of 26/11, Indians absolved (Second Intro Roundup) - May 03, 2010
Tags: australian actress, australian soap opera, brooke satchwell, chhatrapati shivaji terminus, hotel oberoi, mumbai terror attack, radio station website, sitting ducks, toilet cubicles, trident hotel, victoria terminus