Watch ‘Breaking News’ for Radhika-Ajay’s performance (Kannada Movie Review)May 20th, 2012 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Breaking News”; Cast: Ajay Rao, Radhika Pandit, Anant Nag, Rangayana Raghu, Sadhu Kokila, Sihi Kahi Chandru, Mandya Ramesh, Biraadar, Arun Sagar, Chidan and and others; Writer-Director: Nagathihalli Chandrashekhar; Producer: Raj Kumar, Hanumantha Reddy and Nagathihalli Chandrasekhar; Camera: Krishna Kumar; Music Director: Stephen Prayog; Editor: Basavaraja Urs; Rating:**
Films made by some noted directors are expected to offer different concepts and writer-director Nagathihalli Chandrasekhar’s films fall into the same category. His films are critically examined by fans for its content. But “Breaking News” is an ordinary effort by the director known for making impressive movies like “America, America”, “Baa Nalle Madhuchandrake”, “Nanna Preethiya Hudugi” and “Amrutha Dhaare”.
However, the director, lost the track in his previous film “Nooru Janmaku”, which was a disaster. “Breaking News” is slightly better in its content and presentation, but Nagathihalli’s failure as a director and scriptwriter is easily visible in the film.
It is the effortless performance by Radhika Pandit and Ajay Rao that salvage the film to some extent, otherwise it would have been another forgettable film.
Nagathihalli’s scritps are usually based on contemporary social problems and continuing the trend he focuses on television channels in “Breaking News” and shows how they go overboard in their bid to do breaking stories.
But the screenplay lacks interest and there is no freshness in the narration. He has been able to get things right in a few sequences.
Arjun works as a programme executive for Sakala TV, but his programmes fails to attain popularity. Meanwhile, the Lokayukta in the state prepares a report on the involvement of a minister in denotifying land around Bengaluru.
Arjun tries to interview the Lokayukta, but he is misguided by Lokayukta’s daughter, Shradha, and is thrown out of the Lokayukta’s house and even loses his job.
Meanwhile, the minister plans to kidnap Lokayukta’s daughter. Arjun busts his plans and hides away Shradha in a safe place. The kidnap story is telecast on Sakala TV, much to the surprise of the rival channels. Shradha’s kidnapping creates a big commotion in the state.
Meanwhile, Shradha starts liking Arjun.
Ajay Rao has done a good job as Arjun. He adds credibility to the film. But Radhika Pandit is the showstealer as the pampered daughter of Lokayukta. Her prankish acts and her energy levels in dance sequence are sure to attract young audience. She has also done a little bit of action scenes.
Anant Nag, Rangayana Raghu, Sihi Kahi Chandru, Biraadar, late Karibasavayya (this is his last film) and Sadhu Kokila are adequate choices for their roles.
Although stephen Prayog’s has churned out two good songs - “Hudugi baare odi hogona” and “Sari sari”, the music is inconsistent and does not match up with the mood in the film.
Krishna Kumar’scamera work is very good, but editing should have been a little crisper.
“Breaking News” does not match the expectations it had created, but yet it is watchable for energetic performance by Radhika and Ajay.
- Poor script spoils 'Kho Kho' (Kannada Movie Review) - Jan 15, 2012
- '90' a good experiment (Kannada Movie Review) - Sep 04, 2011
- 'Kalla Malla Sulla' must watch (Kannada Movie Review) - Sep 18, 2011
- 'Hudugru', an interesting watch (Kannada Film Review) - May 07, 2011
- 'Rambo', a complete entertainer (Kannada Movie Review) - Sep 09, 2012
- 'Naanalla' - engaging tale with fine performances (Kannada Film Review) - Oct 22, 2011
- 'Romeo' - stylish entertainer on true love (Kannada Movie Review) - Jul 07, 2012
- Insight to Hendthira Darbar - Dec 19, 2009
- Weak script makes 'Rama Rama Raghurama' ordinary movie (Kannada Movie Review) - Mar 06, 2011
- Not thrills in 'Nagavalli', avoid it! (Kannada Movie Review) - Jun 24, 2012
- 'Maleyali Jotheyali' an enjoyable fare (Kannada Film Review) - Dec 13, 2009
- Debutant Deepak Aras' 'Manasology' disappoints (Kannada Movie Review) - Sep 25, 2011
- Plans to release Hoo in early January next year - Nov 12, 2009
- 'Janoo' - weak, but worth one time watch (Kannada Movie Review) - Jun 02, 2012
- 'Yogaraj, But' entertaining and thought provoking (Kannada Movie Review) - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: ajay, america america, amrutha, breaking stories, chandrasekhar, chandrashekhar, contemporary social problems, different concepts, effortless performance, kahi, krishna kumar, lokayukta, nalle, nanna, radhika, sadhu, scriptwriter, scritps, shradha, television channels