‘…Wasseypur’ my first film for masses: Kashyap (Movie Snippets)May 20th, 2012 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 17 (IANS) After creating niche audiences with films like “Black Friday”, “Dev D”, and “That Girl In Yellow Boots”, director-producer Anurag Kashyap now targets a larger audience with “Gangs of Wasseypur”, which will be premiered at the ongoing 65th Cannes International Film Festival.
Explaining how his film is an out-and-out commercial experience, he said: “For the first time, I have made a film for the masses and we are going to Cannes (with the film). People usually think when a movie goes to Cannes, it is an art movie. We have made a commercial film. It has taken me a lot of years to reach here. When you stop running after a butterfly, it comes and sits… it’s the same thing.”
“Ganges of Wasseypur” is a gritty take on the coal mafia and stars Manoj Bajpayee, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Syed Zeeshan Quadri and Aditya Kumar.
Kashyap’s crime thriller “Peddlers” has also been selected for screenings at the prestigious festival.
The filmmaker is happy with is experiments and choice of cinema.
“It is important for me to know where my audience is? What my audience is? And what they would like to see? Everyone used to tell me don’t do this, don’t do that. Today, I realised I was not wrong,” he said.
Pooja praises Arunoday’s performance
Filmmaker Pooja Bhatt, who is busy directing “Jism 2″ in Sri Lanka, is amazed at Arunoday Singh’s performance in the movie.
“Delighted with Arunoday Singh’s performance on set for ‘Jism 2′… He was strong enough to be weak and touched a real chord within us all,” Pooja tweeted.
The movie, a sequel to 2003 film “Jism”, also stars Indo-Canadian porn star Sunny Leone and Randeep Hooda.
Pooja Bhatt, who had produced the original, is directing the part two.
Tusshar thanks dad for Urdu gyaan
Actor Tusshar Kapoor thanks his father, veteran actor Jeetendra, for making him learn Urdu before joining Bollywood.
“Excited that I could read the Urdu titles of Dilip Saab’s ‘Insaniyat’ on TV, thank my father for making me learn Urdu before I joined films,” the 35-year-old tweeted.
Tusshar, who made his acting debut with “Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai” opposite Kareena Kapoor in 2001, will be next seen in “Kya Super Kool Hai Hum”.
The sex comedy, a sequel to 2005 release “Kyaa Kool Hai Hum”, also stars Riteish Deshmukh, Neha Sharma and Sarah-Jane Dias in pivotal roles.
“The ‘Kyaa Superr Kool Hai Hum’ family, everyone finally arrives in Goa. Last day for the schedule arrives, hope we finish the climax scene nicely! It’s been terrific, like always, here in my favourite state…” he tweeted.
The movie is scheduled for a Aug 2 release.
- TV no longer the idiot box: Madhur Bhandarkar ( Movie Snippets) - May 06, 2012
- Mahesh Bhatt compares 'Jism 2' to 'Last Tango In Paris' (Movie Snippets) - Jul 06, 2012
- Bipasha's 'Raaz 3' to uncover with Sunny's 'Jism 2' - Jul 23, 2012
- Randeep hopes to impress audience with 'Jism 2' (Movie Snippets) - May 31, 2012
- 'Joker' features in New York Times, Shirish excited (Movie Snippets) - May 13, 2012
- 'Jism 2' gets 'A' certificate - Jul 18, 2012
- Ekta has Midas touch, says Sarah-Jane - Jan 30, 2012
- For Pooja Bhatt, 'Jism 2' director-proof script (Movie Snippets) - Jun 10, 2012
- 'Jism 2' makes Rs.21 crore in opening weekend - Aug 06, 2012
- 'Kyaa Super Kool...' not for high-brows, says Ekta - Jul 10, 2012
- Riteish gets serious! - Jun 05, 2012
- It's vacation time for Farhan Akhtar (Movie Snippets) - Jun 12, 2012
- Now Tusshar's turn to flaunt six-pack - Mar 26, 2012
- Only 'asexual' songs from 'Jism 2' on TV: Pooja Bhatt - Jun 27, 2012
- I would love to work with Aamir: Sunny Leone - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: black friday, canadian porn, cannes international film festival, commercial experience, commercial film, crime thriller, indo canadian, international film festival, jeetendra, jism, niche audiences, pooja bhatt, prestigious festival, randeep hooda, sunny leone, thanks dad, tusshar kapoor, veteran actor, yellow boots, zeeshan