Warsi gets dose of Gandhigiri for smoking in publicMay 8th, 2010 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, May 8 (IANS) Noted actor Arshad Warsi, who played ‘Circuit’ — the eccentric, lovable sidekick in “Munnabhai M.B.B.S.” and its popular sequel “Lage Raho Munnabhai”, is at the receiving end of a ‘Gandhigiri’ sermon.
The National Organisation for Tobacco Eradication (NOTE), in a letter to Warsi Friday, censured him for smoking in an educational institute in south Goa during a film shoot along with co-actor Tusshar Kapoor.
“The photograph showing you signing autographs with a cigarette in hand and surrounded by young girls was given wide publicity by the press in Goa. It shows that many film personalities like you have scant respect for the law prohibiting smoking in public places,” NOTE general secretary Shekhar Salkar said in his letter.
The NOTE, which has in the past dragged Bollywood stars Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan to court for directly or indirectly promoting smoking, also advised Warsi to quit smoking in order to “improve” his health.
“You are advised not to smoke because it will improve your health and also it will prevent a number of young people from starting to smoke,” the letter addressed to Warsi’s residence in Mumbai stated.
“Purely, from s moral point of view, cine personalities should not smoke in public since your fans are likely to copy your actions and start smoking, which will damage their health,” it said/
The group asked the actor to honour the Cigarette and Other Tobacco Products Act, 2003 (COPTA).
Since Warsi was not available, the principal of Chowgule college in Margao, 35 km from here, had to pay the fine under COPTA for allowing smoking in his institution.
- Actor Arshad Warsi will not smoke in public again - May 11, 2010
- Practising Gandhigiri to help kick the butt - May 28, 2011
- Arshad, Tusshar smoke in college campus, NGO complains (With Images) - Apr 28, 2010
- NGO catches Ajay Devgn smoking in public (With Images) - May 19, 2010
- NGO demands ban on sale of single cigarettes - Mar 04, 2011
- Devgn was smoking in prohibited area, Goa officials insist - Sep 08, 2010
- I would love to be Munnabhai again -Sanjay Dutt - Dec 10, 2009
- Lack of strong script delaying third 'Munna Bhai': Hirani - Apr 02, 2012
- Aamir appeals to Anna to end fast - Aug 27, 2011
- Too many misconceptions about Islam: Actor Arshad Warsi - Jun 14, 2011
- Anti-tobacco group fumes over Aishwarya's cigarette act - Nov 16, 2010
- NGO asks Bhandarkar to comply with smoking rule - Sep 04, 2012
- Oops! Ajay smoked in public again! - May 21, 2010
- No smoking at IFFI venue, film stars told - Nov 30, 2009
- Checking traffic violations in Srinagar the way Mahatma Gandhi would have (Letter from Srinagar) (With image) - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: amitabh bachchan, arshad warsi, copta, educational institute, film personalities, gandhigiri, general secretary, moral point of view, munnabhai, national organisation, panaji, shah rukh khan, shekhar, smoking in public places, south goa, start smoking, tobacco eradication, tobacco products, tusshar kapoor, young girls