Warsaw names Dalai Lama honorary citizenMay 29th, 2009 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
Warsaw, May 28 (DPA) Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama was named an honorary citizen of Poland’s capital Warsaw after an unanimous vote from the city councillors Thursday.
“As councillors in a city as historically experienced as Warsaw, we have the moral right and responsibility to show respect and honour a person who seeks freedom and sovereignty for his countryman and his country,” the councillors said in a statement.
China accuses the Dalai Lama of wanting an independent Tibet, but the exiled leader, who lives in India since 1959, insists he wants autonomy for the region.
The spiritual leader was in Poland in December to attend celebrations marking the 25th anniversary of former Solidarity trade union leader Lech Walesa receiving the Nobel Peace Prize.
Polish President Lech Kaczynski had also met with the spiritual leader, and sparked backlash when China warned Warsaw about creating impediments to Chinese-Polish relations.
- Tibetans grieve over Polish president's death - Apr 10, 2010
- Dalai Lama expresses grief over death of Polish president - Apr 12, 2010
- Dalai Lama to get honorary citizenship of Warsaw - Jul 23, 2009
- Dalai Lama named honorary citizen of Warsaw (Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- Dalai Lama becomes honorary citizenship of Warsaw - Jul 29, 2009
- Polish president, a friend of India, dies in air crash - Apr 10, 2010
- Jataka tales add to Buddhist books in Poland - Oct 09, 2011
- President Kaczynski: A profile - Apr 10, 2010
- Dalai Lama to meet Desmond Tutu - Feb 09, 2012
- 'Dalai Lama deserves Bharat Ratna' - Jun 11, 2012
- Media censorship in China wrong: Dalai Lama - Dec 13, 2011
- Dalai Lama to meet Tutu - from a distance - Oct 07, 2011
- No changes in Russia-Poland relations after plane crash report - Aug 04, 2011
- At 76, Dalai Lama remains hopeful on Tibet - Jul 05, 2011
- Dalai Lama a symbol of peace: Dhumal - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: 25th anniversary, autonomy, backlash, city councillors, countryman, dalai lama, honorary citizen, impediments, independent tibet, leader lech, lech walesa, moral right, nobel peace prize, polish president lech, president lech kaczynski, sovereignty, tibetan spiritual leader, trade union leader, unanimous vote, warsaw