Want to shed your pent-up tears? Go for ‘Raju Maharaju’ (IANS Film Review, Rating:**)June 20th, 2009 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
By Aravindan DI
Film: “Raju Maharaju”; Cast: Sharwanand, Mohan Babu, Ramyakrishna, Jayasudha, Tasu Kaushik, M.S. Narayana, Brahanamandam, Nasser, Sunil; Director: Durga Shankar Nath; Rating: **
For those who have loads and loads of tears to shed, don’t miss watching “Raju Maharaju” which reminds one of the films frequently made in the ’80s. The only difference is that this movie passes off as more sophisticated than those films.
The story is about a rich man Chakravarthy (Mohan Babu), his virtuous wife (Ramyakrishna) and his brother Kalyan (Sharwanand), a carefree guy. One day, Kalyan mows down and kills a guy (Nasser). The deceased incidentally happens to be the father of the girl he loved.
Chakravarthy pleads the girl to withdraw the case, for this the girl demands the transfer of all his assets in her name. The ‘king of sacrifice’ Chakravarthy does it out of his love for his brother Kalyan.
Rest of the movie tells you how Kalyan realises his brother’s good-natured heart and how he transforms into a responsible guy.
“Raju Maharaju” possesses an overdose of melodrama, hackneyed dialogues, and a lot of other things that will make you rush back home to watch your aunt’s favourite sob-opera on TV. The whole revenge bit is a bit too much - for example, the way she gets someone to slap on him a sexual harassment case at his office.
Mohan Babu eases through his role with his characteristic finesse. So does Ramayakrishna, the veteran. Sharwanand gets a neat role to play though it develops some negative streaks in the first half. Tasu Kaushik looks glamorous and oozes sex appeal.
Hope director Durga Shankar Nath gets his act right the next time around!
- 'Raju-Maharaju' audio released - May 30, 2009
- 'Mr. Perfect' flawed but entertaining (Telugu Movie Review) - Apr 24, 2011
- 'Raju-Maharaju' busy in post-production - Apr 28, 2009
- Give 'Parama Veera Chakra' a miss ( Telugu Movie Review) - Jan 16, 2011
- War of words between Chiranjeevi and Mohan Babu - Oct 14, 2009
- 'Kalyan Ram Kathi' is extremely violent (Telugu Film Review) - Nov 13, 2010
- 'Raju-Maharaju' cans last song - Apr 07, 2009
- Telugu film stars failed to shine in polls - May 17, 2009
- Pawan Kalyan Takes Chulbul Pandey To Tollywood - Jan 25, 2011
- Kaushik Ganguly gears up for his next film - Sep 09, 2010
- Pawan Kalyan hits the bull's eye with 'Gabbar Singh' (Telugu Movie Review) - May 13, 2012
- Anupam pays 'smiling tribute' to late father in Shimla - May 03, 2012
- 'Raju-Maharaju' cans song at Kulu Manali - Mar 28, 2009
- 'Daruvu' ordinary fare, rides on Ravi Teja's shoulders (Telugu Movie Review) - May 27, 2012
- 'Panjaa' an out and out Pawan Kalyan film; a must watch (Telugu Movie Review) - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: 80s, deceased, dialogues, finesse, jayasudha, kalyan, kaushik, melodrama, mohan babu, narayana, nasser, ramyakrishna, responsible guy, rich man, sacrifice, sex appeal, sexual harassment case, streaks, sunil, tasu