Wallace and Gromit most watched TV show in UK on ChristmasDecember 27th, 2008 - 12:35 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 27 (ANI): Animated duo Wallace and Gromit dominated TV ratings with their latest adventures this Christmas.
BBCs hit pairs latest adventure A Matter Of Loaf & Death was watched by an average of 14.3 million people, the highest figure for any programme on British television this year.
The Christmas special of Dr Who set in Dickensian London attracted the second largest audience with 11.7 million viewers, followed by second part of the EastEnders double bill on the third, which drew an audience of 11.5 million.
BBC dominated the Christmas schedules by showing nine of the day’’s most popular shows, including The Royle Family which attracted 10 million viewers, a rerun of the 2005 Wallace & Gromit film The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit with 7.2 million viewers and the Queen’’s speech with 6.4 million viewership.
ITV1′’s Coronation Street also drew an audience of 7.4 million.
“I am delighted so many millions of viewers enjoyed BBC One’’s fantastic line up of family comedy, entertainment and drama, the Telegraph quoted BBC One Controller Jay Hunt as saying.
“More than half of all people watching television tuned in to watch Wallace & Gromit’’s latest adventure.
This is a phenomenal performance and one that confirms once again BBC One’’s position as the nation’’s favourite at Christmas,” he added.
The Strictly Come Dancing Christmas special proved the least attractive part of BBC One’’s prime time schedule, but still drew an audience of 8.6 million. (ANI)
- 'Only Fools and Horses' episode named most memorable Brit Christmas TV moment - Dec 01, 2010
- David Cameron enjoys watching the EastEnders - Dec 06, 2011
- Royle Family Christmas special confirmed - Aug 13, 2012
- BBC Accounts For Too Formulaic And Derivative Television, Says Trust - Nov 09, 2010
- Kung Fu Panda sweeps cartoon awards - Feb 03, 2009
- Conan O'Brien's Talk Show "Conan" Beats Other Late Shows Ratings - Nov 10, 2010
- Royal wedding audience tops only an episode of 'Only Fools And Horses' - May 02, 2011
- Super Bowl 2011 sets US TV record audience of 111 million - Feb 08, 2011
- 24.5 million watched royal wedding on terrestrial TV - May 01, 2011
- More Brits to shop online than go to church on Christmas - Dec 23, 2010
- EastEnders to show B&B fire - Sep 21, 2011
- Wallace and Gromit turned into video game - Jul 26, 2008
- Osama's death grabs more eyeballs in India than royal wedding - May 03, 2011
- EastEnders fans complain of sea-sickness after watching camera wobbling scene - Jul 19, 2011
- Wallace and Gromit recreate Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal in new TV ad - May 12, 2010
Tags: 10 million, 5 million, bbcs, british television, comedy entertainment, coronation street, curse of the were rabbit, dickensian london, eastenders, family comedy, jay hunt, million viewers, people watching television, phenomenal performance, prime time schedule, rerun, royle family, tv ratings, viewership, watched tv