Voice and First lady of Star Trek dies at 76December 19th, 2008 - 5:42 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Dec 19 (ANI): Majel Barrett-Roddenberry, the voice behind Star Trek, has died at her home in Bel-Air, California.
She passed away on December 18.
The 76-year-old veteran, who was fighting leukaemia for a long time, had her son Eugene, by her side.
Majel Barrett was recognized as “first lady of Star Trek, since the death of Gene Roddenberry, the creator of the franchise, who died in 1991.
For more than 30 years, Majel Barrett was a staple of “Star Trek” as the voice for the U.S.S. Enterprise, reports The New York Daily News.
The lady, who had a recurring role in the original ”Star Trek” as Nurse Chapel, developed several of Roddenberrys unfinished ideas into new projects, which included two syndicated shows.
Barrett first appeared in Star Treks first pilot which aired in 1964 as the Enterprise’’s first officer (referred to simply as “Number One”), which was later changed as it did not go well with NBC execs.
She eventually returned in a new role as the blonde Nurse Chapel when the series was retooled. The recurring role was notable for her unrequited love for Spock, the Enterprise’’s unemotional Vulcan science officer.
Barrett carried the theme over into her other onscreen role in the franchise, Lwaxana Troi.
Other than that, she famously provided the voice for the U.S.S. Enterprise’’s computer in “The Next Generation,” as well as following sequel series.
In fact, J.J. Abrams even had her contribute to the new Star Trek film, due in theatres in 2009.
Before Trek, Barrett had roles on several television shows, including The Lucy Show, Leave it to Beaver and The Untouchables. She also appeared in 1958′’s The Black Orchid, 1963′’s The Quick and the Dead, and 1966′’s A Guide for the Married Man. (ANI)
- 'Star Trek' memorabilia up for auction - Apr 27, 2010
- Leonard Nimoy won't reprise Spock role in next Star Trek movie - Apr 21, 2010
- Star Trek: Shatner's Motorcycle for Sale - Apr 27, 2010
- Leonard Nimoy Will Be Retiring From Acting - Apr 22, 2010
- Star Trek's Mr Spock was designed to be a sex symbol - Jul 15, 2009
- 'Star Trek' sequel gets title? - Sep 11, 2012
- Zachary Quinto's fingers were glued to get 'Star Trek' salute right - May 08, 2009
- Abrams set to discuss Start Trek sequel with Shatner over lunch - Oct 21, 2009
- Star Trek boldly goes for a new generation - May 10, 2009
- Zachary Quinto dismisses rumours of quitting Star Trek - Jan 30, 2010
- Klingon Christmas Carol to be staged soon in Chicago - Dec 21, 2010
- Eliza Dushku to star in 'White Collar' - Jun 04, 2011
- Leonard Nimoy To Retire Soon - Apr 22, 2010
- Star Trek's Leonard Nimoy retires from acting - Jun 20, 2010
- Brandy, Tatyana bare all for a cause - May 17, 2011
Tags: bel air california, blonde nurse, gene roddenberry, j j abrams, leave it to beaver, majel barrett, majel barrett roddenberry, married man, nbc execs, new star, new york daily news, new york dec, nurse chapel, old veteran, science officer, sequel series, son eugene, star trek, star trek film, york daily news