Violence erupts in Jammu as curfew is liftedJuly 25th, 2008 - 7:16 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu , July 25 (ANI): Violence erupted afresh in Jammu today as furious agitators protesting against the revocation of land allotted to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB), burnt vehicles and pelted stones after curfew was lifted this morning.
Police resorted to baton charge and about ten people got injured.
Protestors said that they would continue protests until the land to the SASB is allotted.
We warn the Government that if it doesn”t allot land for the Amarnath pilgrims, everybody including children will sacrifice their lives,” said Chotu, a local.
The shutdown call given by the Amarnath Yatra Sangharsh Samiti spearheading the agitation against the government for backing down from transferring forestland to the Hindu shrine, has been extended till July 27.
The shutdown was initially called for a day to express sorrow over the suicide of a youth on Wednesday.
The State Government reversed its decision last month to transfer 100 acres of forestland for building temporary shelters for thousands of Hindu pilgrims visiting Amarnath shrine. (ANI)
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Groups threaten to start Amarnath Yatra June 3 - May 19, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Home ministry reviews situation ahead of Amarnath Yatra - Jun 11, 2012
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Hindu groups to view route to Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2011
- Amarnath samiti calls Jammu bandh Saturday - Jul 02, 2010
- Amarnath Sangharsh Samiti to intensify shutdown in Jammu - Jul 31, 2008
- Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in Jammu - Jun 03, 2012
- Government, Hindu groups clash over Amarnath yatra - Jun 09, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage: First prayers offered, but not at shrine - Jun 15, 2011
- Jammu shutdown call has few supporters - Jul 02, 2010
- Unregistered Amarnath pilgrims cause chaos - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: agitation, agitators, amarnath pilgrims, amarnath yatra, curfew, forestland, hindu pilgrims, hindu shrine, jammu, morning police, protestors, protests, revocation, sasb, shri, shrine board, sorrow, state government, suicide, violence