Villagers vote to keep ‘Smurf Village’ blueDecember 20th, 2011 - 1:44 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Madrid, Dec 19 (THAINDIAN NEWS) After a surge in popularity and tourism, villagers at the Spanish village where the movie “Smurf Village” was filmed has decided to keep the color. The producers planned to repaint the houses after the film but in an extraordinary move, the citizens voted to keep the houses painted blue.
Almost the entire villagers agreed to keep the town blue after tourism moved from 300 people every year to over 80,000 people. The village currently provides guided tour to those who come visiting the place.
To turn the village to the right setting, about a dozen painters were tasked to paint all the houses in the village blue. About 1,000 gallons were used to transform the village. The painting was not spared on anything with Churches and gravestones all being turned blue. The mayor of the village is in full support of the turn of events that the Sony movie has brought to the village.
Mayor David Fernandez said that, “It has given a boost to the local economy, it has increased our happiness, our dreams and our levels of employment. Thanks to being painted blue we are known throughout the world.”
Because of the sudden surge in the inhabitants of the village, police have been tasked to keep security.
- Didi desires to daub Kolkata in white and blue - Feb 18, 2012
- Katy Perry's nails get 'Smurf'ed! - Jul 25, 2011
- 2,510 Brit students set new world record for most people dressed as Smurfs - Jun 10, 2009
- From billboards to Madhuri: Husain's love affair with cinema - Jun 09, 2011
- Parliament House being spruced up to receive Obama - Oct 21, 2010
- Sofia Vergara to have role in `The Smurfs' sequel - Apr 27, 2012
- Katy Perry To Be A Part Of The Smurfs Movie - Mar 07, 2010
- X-ray analysis on artwork shows artist repainted blonde woman brunette - Apr 04, 2011
- Bamiyan Buddhas 'once had an intensely colorful appearance' - Feb 26, 2011
- Home Alone house up for sale - May 06, 2011
- Agra businessman to immortalise Husain with museum - Jun 12, 2011
- The Smurfs - Fun film for the family (IANS Movie Review) - Jul 29, 2011
- When painting, I feel I'm making something like a Picasso: Aamir - Dec 27, 2011
- Let civic agency manage Delhi's water supply: Mayor - Jul 06, 2012
- Me, Nadiadwala don't make films for money: Sajid Khan - Mar 19, 2012
Tags: blue madrid, churches, citizens, david fernandez, dreams, economy, employment thanks, happiness, inhabitants, mayor david, painters, painting, popularity, producers, smurf village, sony, spanish village, sudden surge, tourism, village mayor