Vijayraje Scindia role required preparation: Hema MaliniOctober 16th, 2008 - 8:59 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 16 (IANS) On the eve of her 60th birthday, Bollywood ‘dream girl’ Hema Malini says she is thrilled to play erstwhile Gwalior queen Vijayraje Scindia in the movie “Ek Thi Rani Aisi Bhi”, but says unlike her other films the role needed a lot of preparation and she had to spend considerable time with the Scindia family.”I’m honoured to be playing the Rajmata. Do you know she was the founder of the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) and today I’m a proud member of the BJP and getting a chance to play her on screen,” Hema told IANS.
“I think this role requires a fair amount of preparation. Something I haven’t done for too many of my characters except ‘Razia Sultan’ and ‘Meera’. Both were very close to my heart. And now I think this will be the third role that’s very close to my heart,” she added.
To be directed by Gulbahar Singh, “Ek Thi Rani Aisi Bhi” went on the floor Tuesday. It will be made in close collaboration with the Scindias.
“Though I didn’t know the great lady personally, I’ve known her late son Madhavrao Scindia (late Congress leader) and her daughter Vasundhara (BJP leader and Rajasthan chief minister) quite well through my parliamentary work.
“In fact, I had been to Gwalior last year in summer with my daughter Ahana for a dance performance on the invitation of Madhavraoji’s son Jyotiraditya Scindia. My colleagues in parliament were outraged. ‘How could you go at his invitation when he’s from the Congress?’ But I think culture and art should be put above politics, don’t you think?”
“I hope I can carry off the Rajmata’s royal dignity and confidence,” Hema said.
Aishwarya Rai was supposed to play Gayatri Devi, the Rani of Jaipur in J.P. Dutta’s biopic, but the project was shelved.
- Vidya Balan learns to drive, thanks to Vishal Bharadwaj (Bollywood Snippets) - Oct 26, 2008
- Scindia kin ordered to pay Rajmata's Rs.6.52 lakh phone bill - May 27, 2011
- My only close friend in the industry is Rekha: Hema Malini (Interview) - Oct 16, 2008
- Dharmendra gifts jewellery set to Hema on birthday - Oct 21, 2008
- Mehdi Hassan was outstanding: Lata Mangeshkar - Jun 13, 2012
- Dancing, yoga secret of my fitness: Hema Malini (Film Snippets) - Feb 21, 2009
- Aishwarya Rai is today's 'dreamgirl', says Hema Malini - Jul 13, 2009
- Hema Malini keen to learn Rabindra Sangeet (Film Snippets) - Nov 18, 2008
- Ahana is now open to acting: Hema Malini - Jun 23, 2011
- Big heroines don't need item numbers: Hema Malini - Jun 04, 2012
- Ahana writing story for my next film: Hema Malini (Movie snippets) - Jan 05, 2011
- Hema Malini turns 60 Thursday, but feels sweet 16 - Oct 15, 2008
- No Bollywood roles for middle aged women: Aruna Irani (Interview) - Nov 08, 2011
- I had a superb time directing Dharamji: Hema Malini (Interview) - Dec 28, 2010
- Emraan very versatile, professional: Huma Qureshi - May 26, 2012