Vidya present to support Sabyasachi at WIFW finaleApril 11th, 2011 - 12:53 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 10 (IANS) It was a splendid tribute to contemporary and classic fashion at the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week (WIFW) grand finale Sunday as the ramp came alive with designer Sabyasachi Mukherjee’s vibrant colourful collection. Also present was his favourite muse Vidya Balan.
The ramp was transformed into a vintage set reminiscent of an old British library. Set against a backdrop of life-sized iconic fashion bibles, the all black wooden ramp was bedecked with flamboyant colourful bulbs. The finale opened with a stellar performance by famous performer Kiya from London and Vidya walking with the designer.
Mukherjee’s collection was inspired by paintings of three of his favourite artists - Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso and Paul Gauguin.
“The collection was inspired from the 1960s and 1970s style in the international market. The silhouettes were sports meets retro-rock on a colour palate which varies from black and white with a mix of super bright colours as well. But the entire range used Indian handicrafts fabrics like textured khadi, a little bit of zardozi, beaten and burnt crystals and lace,” said Mukherjee after the show.
The collection was high on functionality with models sporting the retro-meets- contemporary look. The garments which grabbed eyeballs were modern versions of the flared 1950’s skirts with sporty elastic that made them fuss free and floor-touching dresses.
Vidya, dressed up in traditional yellow sari, was seen cheering for the designer.
- For creativity, say no to commerce: Sabyasachi Mukherjee (Interview) - Apr 09, 2011
- Vidya, Sridevi cheer for Sabyasachi show at LFW - Aug 20, 2011
- Archana Kochhar gives retro twist to digital prints - Aug 07, 2012
- Sabyasachi Mukherjee breaks own rules, goes boho - Mar 06, 2010
- Sridevi turns muse for Sabyasachi Mukherjee at DCW - Aug 13, 2012
- Wearability factor gets prominence at LFW - Aug 05, 2012
- Payal Kapoor to revive Benaras motifs at LFW (With Images) - Jul 20, 2012
- Six showstoppers for Malini Agarwalla's accessory show - Mar 06, 2012
- When fashion went boho and vintage (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 16, 2011
- Parna Ghose goes to NY Couture Fashion Week - Sep 06, 2012
- A grandeur opening by Varun Bahl for DCW - Aug 09, 2012
- Can Vidya's kanjeevaram look revive hand-woven saris? - Feb 16, 2012
- Bridal collection, Bollywood dominated DCW (Review) (With Images) - Aug 13, 2012
- Indian designs, Bollywood dominate RFW opening day - May 25, 2012
- Sabyasachi Mukherjee showcases his bohemian collection at LIFW - Mar 06, 2010
Tags: bright colours, british library, classic fashion, colour palate, colourful collection, eyeballs, grand finale, henri matisse, india fashion week, indian handicrafts, kiya, pablo picasso, paul gauguin, sari, silhouettes, splendid tribute, stellar performance, vidya balan, wills lifestyle india fashion week, wooden ramp