Vidya Balan decides to stick to what’s natural for herFebruary 27th, 2009 - 9:35 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 27 (IANS) The graceful Vidya Balan has turned a new leaf. After her unsuccessful attempts to revamp her wardrobe in “Heyy Babyy” and “Kismat Konnection”, the actress has decided to go easy on the glamour quotient.
“It’s not as though I’m disowning my efforts to do glamorous roles. I’m proud of ‘Heyy Babyy’ and ‘Kismat Konnection’. But this year I’m doing films that don’t need me to stretch my personality. I’m very happy doing roles that come naturally to me. That’s what I decided about my career this year,” Vidya told IANS.
Vidya has just given the nod to Nikhil Advani’s next film “Chand Bhai”, which would surprise many. It is a raw, realistic and song-less film on juvenile delinquency.
“It’s nothing like the high-flying glam stuff that one expects from Nikhil after ‘Chandni Chowk To China’. ‘Chand Bhai’ is a stark, very real kind of drama. And I get to co-star with a very talented actor Akshaye Khanna with whom I was in Nikhil’s ‘Salaam-e-Ishq’ though we had just one passing shot together,” she said.
The actress admits “Chand Bhai” doesn’t feature her in the central role.
“The film revolves around a delinquent boy’s character. But I’m very happy to be part of a film that addresses itself an important social issue. This year I think I’m done with searching for various bylanes to my screen identity. All my forthcoming films have a sharp sense of social purpose, and that definitely includes Vibhu Puri’s ‘Chenab Gandhi’, which I’m enormously excited about because it’s produced by Sanjay Leela Bhansali.”
Vidya has been attending costume and reading sessions for “Chenab Gandhi” and is spellbound by the script. The film also stars Amitabh Bachchan and Hurman S. Baweja.
“I haven’t really interacted that much with my co-star Hurman as yet. With Mr. Bachchan, who plays the title role, I share a lifelong bonding. Right from ‘Eklavya - The Royal Guard’, we’ve been paired in so many films right up to ‘Chenab Gandhi’ and now Balki’s (R Balakrishnan’s) ‘Pa’.
“If I did all the films last year that I was offered with Mr. Bachchan, I wouldn’t be working with anyone else,” said Vidya, adding she’s excited to work with Abhishek Bachchan for the first time in “Pa”.
“We’ve never been paired together. It would be interesting to have another interesting co-star to work with,” she said.
Vidya recently saw “Ghajini” and was bowled over by Aamir Khan.
“I’m dying to work with Aamir. And Shah Rukh Khan of course is my favourite. I said on Sajid Khan’s chat show I want to kill Shah Rukh’s wife. No one took me seriously. There was no enhancement in the security around her. Sad.”
- I'm done with trying to be someone I'm not: Vidya Balan - Dec 10, 2009
- Vidya Balan plans 'dirty dancing' post-break - Feb 27, 2012
- The uniqueness of being Vidya Balan - Mar 24, 2011
- Vidya Balan is now 'Bombaat Balan' - Nov 25, 2011
- My character in 'Ishqiya' oozes sensuality: Vidya Balan (Interview) - Dec 15, 2009
- Simpleton to sexy siren: Vidya Balan goes ooh la la! - Aug 31, 2011
- I'll definitely marry, but not thinking about it now: Vidya - Jan 06, 2012
- I'll never act in my films: Sajid Khan - Apr 27, 2010
- 'Housefull 2' will see fresh pairs on screen - Mar 02, 2011
- Bollywood woman power: Vidya, Ekta carry the baton - Dec 09, 2011
- Playing pregnant woman was cakewalk for Vidya - Jan 11, 2012
- No one could get dirtier than 'The Dirty Picture': Vidya Balan - Dec 08, 2011
- Don't want to associate with every film: Akshaye Khanna - Feb 02, 2012
- Vir Das shoots music video for 'Delhi Belly' - Mar 03, 2011
- 'Himmatwala' will cross Rs.100 crore in first week: Sajid Khan - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: akshaye khanna, amitabh bachchan, bhai, chenab, chowk, eklavya the royal guard, forthcoming films, glamorous roles, glamour quotient, juvenile delinquency, kismat, mr bachchan, new leaf, nikhil advani, reading sessions, sanjay leela bhansali, social purpose, talented actor, unsuccessful attempts, vidya balan