Video ‘Gap Yah’ wins online comedy crownDecember 14th, 2010 - 10:00 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Dec 14 (THAINDIAN NEWS) YouTube has named the video, “Gap Yah” as the Homegrown Comedy Hit of the Year.
The video is a satirical sketch by the Unexpected Items. It received a massive 26 million views on YouTube after it was released. The video’s performance was more of an accident than any other thing. The video’s popularity was enhanced by its discovery on Facebook.
In the video, a fictional character called, Orlando calls another fictional friend called Tarquin on the mobile phone and discusses his recent trip to a third world country. The movie had the catchphrase “I am literally in Burma’ and ‘vomcano’.” That coined statement instantly became a hit and further increased the popularity of the video.
The marketing director of YouTube, Anna Bateson was full of praise for the creativity of the video. She was particularly impressed with the exceptional way that videos uploaded in 2010 performed.
Anna said that, “More than ever in 2010 YouTube was a hub of creativity, a hive of hilarity and the place for people to share their passions and entertain themselves online.”
Justin Bieber’s YouTube video, “Baby” edged past Eminem and Rihanna’s “Love The Way You Lie” to become the most viewed music video in the United Kingdom.
- Comedy sketch poking fun at middle class students tops YouTube charts - Dec 14, 2010
- Justin Bieber Is The Most Popular Artiste On YouTube! - Dec 14, 2010
- YouTube co-founder decides to step down - Oct 31, 2010
- Who Is Your Favorite- Lady Gaga Or Justin Bieber? - Nov 12, 2010
- Who Is Justin Bieber’s New Girlfriend? - Nov 13, 2010
- Over 20 mn hits for 'Kolaveri Di', still a long way to go - Dec 12, 2011
- Rihanna tops 'Most Active Music Artists On Social Media Websites' list - Dec 03, 2010
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Bieber, Gaga become copyright victim - Aug 31, 2011
- Gaga becomes 1st musician to attract over 1bn video views on YouTube - Oct 26, 2010
- Rebecca Black smashes Justin Bieber's record on Youtube - Apr 19, 2011
- 'Holding Hands With Strangers' Prank Becomes Internet Hit - Jun 14, 2012
- Mike Tompkins' Youtube Videos Is Better Than 'Glee', Claims Reports - Nov 17, 2010
- Grammy Awards criticised for using artists to boost TV ratings - Feb 22, 2011
- Justin Bieber to Star in 3D Biopic - Aug 03, 2010
Tags: bateson, burma, catchphrase, creativity, eminem, facebook, fictional character, gap, hilarity, hive, hub, justin bieber, mobile phone, music video, passions, popularity, sketch, third world country, yah, youtube video