Vidarbha farmers object to Oscar entry for ‘Peepli’September 27th, 2010 - 8:08 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, Sep 27 (IANS) Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti (VJAS), a farmers’ advocacy group in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra, has objected to the selection of Aamir Khan’s “Peepli Live” as India’s official entry for the Oscars calling it as a “black comedy”.
“Vidarbha is the epicentre of Indian agrarian crisis where around 200,000 farmers committed suicide in the last decade. The basic theme and script of the film is a satire on this serious issue. It would be absolutely wrong to say that farmers are committing suicide for compensation,” said Kishor Tiwari, president of VJAS Monday.
Vidarbha farmers and widows had Aug 15 protested the storyline of the film.
“We have written to union Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni to cancel the nomination of ‘Peepli Live’ for the Oscars,” Tiwari said.
- Vidarbha farmers' group objects to 'Peepli Live' - Aug 14, 2010
- Economist Kelkar to meet Vidarbha farmers - Apr 05, 2012
- Parliamentary panel meets Vidarbha farmers - Mar 02, 2012
- Economist Vijay Kelkar visits crisis-ridden Vidarbha - Apr 06, 2012
- Six more Vidarbha farmers commit suicides, says NGO - Jul 01, 2012
- Five more farmers commit suicides in Vidarbha - May 01, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Maharashtra over farm suicides (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Seven more Vidarbha farmers commit suicide in last 48 hours - Sep 08, 2011
- Farmers' suicides: Parliamentary panel to visit Vidarbha Friday - Mar 01, 2012
- Lift cotton export ban, demand Vidarbha farmers - Feb 27, 2011
- Dowry system fuelling farmers' suicides in Vidarbha - May 20, 2012
- Four more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 08, 2012
- Five farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 02, 2011
- Vidarbha farmers, widows to 'mourn' decade of BT cotton - Mar 25, 2012
- Vidarbha farmers, widows to protest Obama's visit - Nov 04, 2010