‘Vicky Donor’ earns Rs.13.40 crore, Shoojit Sircar ecstaticApril 25th, 2012 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 25 (IANS) “Vicky Donor” is going places. After receiving rave reviews from the critics as well as the audiences, it has earned Rs.13.40 crore in the opening weekend. Director Shoojit Sircar is on cloud nine and says the film’s success proves that the moviegoers have matured over the years.
“Vicky Donor” is a light-hearted take on the taboo attached to infertility, sperm donation and artificial insemination.
“I am happy with the kind of response ‘Vicky Donor’ has got. While writing the script, me and my writers thought we will get a positive response from young boys and girls, but with the film becoming so popular among the masses, it feels great,” Sircar told IANS.
“I never thought my film will get a U/A certificate from censors. It came as a shock for me. The success of the film is the biggest example of audience getting mature. I personally feel that the audiences are very clever and they know what they want to see,” he added.
Co-produced by Eros International and JA Entertainment, the film was released Friday over 600 screens worldwide. The film, which was made with two newcomers - Ayushmann Khurrana and Yami Gautam - along with seasoned actor Annu Kapoor, has grossed over Rs.11.40 crore in India and Rs.2 crore overseas.
“We are very happy with the audience as well as critics’ reactions to ‘Vicky Donor’. Sunday’s collections showed a 91 percent jump over Friday figures,” Nandu Ahuja, senior vice president, distribution, India, Eros International Media Ltd said in a statement.
“The film created a positive buzz right from the launch of its trailer and has delivered on audience expectations. With its unusual subject, characters and dialogues, we are hoping for repeat viewings and a promising run at the box office,” he added.
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh says “Vicky Donor” success proves that content is king.
“The success of “Vicky Donor” is the triumph of its story. The script of the film is the real hero. Every character, be it Ayushmann or Kamlesh Gill or Yami, has fitted so beautifully in the film. I give full marks to the script. With a taboo topic, new actors, a small budget, the kind of business the film has done is commendable,” Adarsh told IANS.
“Films starring newcomers or lesser known actors don’t find a theatrical outlet in the international arena. The success of ‘Vicky Donor’ should also encourage distributors to go beyond the boundaries of India and explore newer horizons,” he added.
- I'm doing Telugu version of 'Vicky Donor': Madhura Sreedhar - Sep 13, 2012
- Salim Khan likes 'Vicky Donor', gives his Filmfare trophy to Sircar - Apr 25, 2012
- Ayushmann won't assist Sircar in 'Jaffna' - Aug 19, 2012
- Not thought about 'Vicky Donor' sequel: John - May 17, 2012
- 'Sperm donation common, people keep mum' - Mar 25, 2012
- John my god-brother in Bollywood: Ayushmann Khurrana - Apr 17, 2012
- 'Vicky Donor' will lend credibility to sperm donation: John - Mar 09, 2012
- Good job Ayushmann, says Mini Mathur (Movie snippets) - Apr 29, 2012
- John Abraham believes in sperm donation - Mar 08, 2012
- I wanted to prove myself as an actor: Ayushmann Khurrana - Apr 27, 2012
- Post 'Vicky Donor', Ayushmann to focus more on movies - Jun 24, 2012
- Success lies in making the youth happy: John Abraham - Jul 27, 2012
- Unconventional films are a safe bet: VJ Ayushmann - Mar 14, 2012
- Direction my final destination: John Abraham - Apr 20, 2012
- Dolly Ahluwalia had apprehensions over 'Vicky Donor' drinking act - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: adarsh, annu kapoor, artificial insemination, audience expectations, boys and girls, censors, cloud nine, crore, eros international, gautam, going places, launch, moviegoers, promising run, rs 2, senior vice president, success proves that, vice president distribution, vicky, writing the script