Vice Admiral Raman P Suthan to take over as Vice Chief of Naval StaffMarch 19th, 2008 - 4:55 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Mar 19 (ANI): Vice Admiral Raman P Suthan will take over as the Vice Chief of Naval Staff. Vice Admiral Suthan, who was earlier the Deputy Chief of Naval Staff and at present is the C-in-C of the Eastern Naval Command, brings with him excellent operational training and administration planning experience that would be crucial to the shaping of the Navy of tomorrow.
Admiral Suthan was born on August 14, 1949. He is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Khadakvasala and was commissioned in the Indian Navy in July 1970.
He saw action early in life as the Navigating Officer of INS Kavaratti, which took active part in Eastern Fleet operations off erstwhile East Pakistan in 1971.
During his long and illustrious career, Vice Admiral Raman P Suthan has commanded five ships of different sizes and capabilities.
His other important assignments at sea includes being the Fleet Navigation Officer of the Eastern Fleet.
Vice Admiral Suthan is a recipient of the Ati Vishist Seva Medal (AVSM) and the Vishist Seva Medal (VSM).
Vice Admiral Nirmal Verma will take over as the Flag Officer Commander-in-Chief of the Eastern Naval Command from Vice Admiral Raman P Suthan.
Vice Admiral Nirmal Verma was commissioned into the Indian Navy on July 1, 1970. An alumnus of the National Defence Academy, he is a specialist in Communications and Electronics Warfare.
During his career spanning over 37 years, he has served in various afloat and shore appointments.
As a communications specialist, he has served as the Fleet Communication Officer of the Western Fleet, and at the Directorate of Naval Signals.
His command tenures include INS Udaygiri (Leander Class Frigates), INS Ranvir (Destroyer) and the Aircraft Carrier INS Viraat. He has also commanded the Indian Naval Academy, INS Mandovi.
He has been the Chief of Staff of the Indian Navy’s Eastern Naval Command and the Flag Officer Commanding Maharashtra Naval Area.
The Eastern seaboard has gained prominence in the recent past. This is witnessed by the increasing engagement with immediate neighbours like Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Thailand and other states of South East Asia. (ANI)
- D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Admiral Joshi is new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Vice Admiral Thapliyal is Indian Navy chief of personnel - Jan 27, 2012
- Navy chief takes over as tri-services panel head - Jul 29, 2011
- Vice Admiral Nirmal Verma takes over as new Navy Chief - Aug 31, 2009
- Rear Admiral Shrikhande is IDS assistant chief (With Image) - Aug 23, 2012
- New chief of staff for Eastern Naval Command - May 02, 2011
- D.K. Joshi is new navy chief - Jun 05, 2012
- Navy, Army vice chiefs to get highest service medal - Jan 25, 2011
- Vice Admiral Verma to be next Navy Chief - Jun 06, 2009
- Vice Admiral Bhasin heads Western Naval Command - Apr 30, 2009
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Sunil Lanba takes over as chief of staff of eastern naval command - May 02, 2011
- Nirmal Verma named Indian Navy chief - Jun 06, 2009
- Vice Admiral Dhowan takes charge as new Navy Deputy Chief - Nov 30, 2009
Tags: 37 years, class frigates, communication officer, easte, eastern fleet, erstwhile east pakistan, flag officer, fleet communication, fleet operations, illustrious career, indian navy, national defence academy, naval command, naval staff, navigating officer, navigation officer, operational training, vice admiral, vice chief, vsm