Vetern Kannada actor K.S. Aswath remembered by filmmakers (Lead)January 18th, 2010 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
Mysore, Jan 18 (IANS) Veteran Kannada actor K.S. Aswath, who acted in more than 350 films in a career spanning five decades, was a man of principles and revered in the industry for his simplicity, recollected filmmakers at his funeral Monday.
The actor, who died Monday at age 85, was cremated in the evening at Harischandra Ghat, beneath the Chamundi Hills in Mysore. The last rites were performed by his second son Shankar Aswath, also a cine actor.
The state government has ordered state honours for the actor while the district administration has declared a public holiday for schools and colleges in the district. The actor is survived by his wife Sharadamma and four children.
Scores of film personalities from Bengaluru and other parts of the state thronged to Mysore to pay their last respects to the actor.
Leader of opposition Siddaramaiah, Karnataka Minister Murugesh Nirani, who represented the state government, actress and president of the Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce Jayamala, president of the Kannada Film Chamber of Commerce K.C.N. Chandrashekhar visited the family members of Aswath.
Also present were actors Puneet Rajkumar, Raghavendra Rajkumar, Sreenagara Kitty, Jayanthi, Rajesh, Darshan, Shivaram, Ramesh Bhat, Dwarakish, Lokanath, Sreenivasa Murthy, Chethan Ramarao, Rathnakar, Sundara Raj and many others.
Aswath was known for his honesty and sincerity, a Kannada film artist said.
Aswath had announced his retirement a few years ago and despite pressures from many people in the industry, he remained firm in his decision.
Later he had to change his decision when he was compelled to do so by the Kannada movie icon Raj Kumar himself. Raj Kumar wanted Aswath to play an important role in “Shabdhavedi” (Raj’s 205th film) which saw both the legendary actors return to the silver screen after a gap of nearly five years.
Aswath had acted in many films with another legendary actor Vishnuvardhan in films like “Karna”, “Karunamayi”, “Muththina Haara” and many others.
Aswath is known for his outstanding performances in many memorable Kannada films. He had started his career as a hero in Kannada films through “Stree Rathna” in 1956. Then he acted in films like “Pancharathna”, “Jenu Goodu”, “Anna Thangi”, “Namma Makkalu”, “Nanda Deepa”, “Anuraadha” and “Miss Leelavathi”.
It was his performance in “Jenu Goodu” directed by Y.R. Swamy that gave him huge popularity after which he acted in many films in important character roles. He also performed villain roles in a few films like “Jedara Bale”, but somehow fans did not like him in negative roles.
Aswath would delve deep into the characters he played. He started acting in many dramas before he ventured to act in films. His memorable role was of Ranganna in the popular play “Ashada Bhoothi”.
K.S. Aswath had acted in more than 350 Kannada films in his five-decade career. He had acted in many memorable roles in films like “Nagarahaavu” directed by Puttanna Kanagal, “Sipaayi Ramu” directed by Y.R. Swamy, “Ondhe Balliya Hoogalu” directed by M.S. Nayak, “Nanda Deepa” directed by M.R. Vittal, “Karna” directed by Bhargava, “Kasthuri Nivasa” directed by Bhagawan.
- K.S. Aswath, veteran Kannada actor, is dead at 85 (Lead) - Jan 18, 2010
- Film Awards instituted in the name of Vishnuvardhan, K.S. Aswath - Apr 05, 2010
- Rathnakar Donated Eyes Long Before Death - Sep 23, 2010
- KS Aswath passes away - rewritten - Jan 18, 2010
- 'Paramathma' a fresh delight (Kannada Film Review) - Oct 08, 2011
- Hat-trick For Abhinaya - Oct 29, 2010
- Aamir inspired me to take up 'Prithvi': Kannada actor Puneeth - Sep 12, 2012
- 'Shikari' - good attempt, despite flaws (Kannada Film Review) - Apr 01, 2012
- Ramesh Aravind's Birthday Celebrated On 'Happy Husbands' Sets - Sep 14, 2010
- Puneet Raj Kumar: Next Project ‘Paramathma’ To Be With Yogaraj Bhatt - Jan 29, 2011
- K.S. Aswath, veteran Kannada actor, is dead - Jan 18, 2010
- I submit to capable directors, otherwise I fight: Nana Patekar (Interview) - May 13, 2011
- Komal Kumar Signs Two Films Simultaneously - Oct 19, 2010
- Shammi Kapoor's death shocks Kannada film industry - Aug 14, 2011
- 'Chinnada Thali'; box office dud by Jagannath Rao (Kannada Movie Review) - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,