Veteran filmmaker Prakash Mehra passes awayMay 17th, 2009 - 1:27 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Veteran filmmaker Prakash Mehra passed away today on Sunday May 17th morning at the Kokilaben Hospital in Andheri, Mumbai. He was 70. Mehra had been seriously ill for the last three years. He was admitted to the hospital few weeks back and was kept on ventilator. He is going to be cremated at the Juhu crematorium.
Mehra is credited for giving Amitabh Bachchan that BIG BREAK with his Zanjeer, following which there was no looking back for the Big B. Just few days back, Amitabh had visiting an ailing Mehra at the Kokilaben Hospital and rubbished all rumours about a fall out between the two.
Mehra had begun his career as a production controller in the late 50s and turned director with the musical super hit Haseena Man Jaayegi (1968) starring Shashi Kapoor. With his Zanjeer (1973) Mehra’s association began with the Big B and together they went on to make seven films, most notable of them being Hera Pheri (1976), Muqaddar Ka Sikandar (1978), Laawaris (1981), Namak Halal (1982) and of course Sharaabi (1984). However their last film together Jaadugar (1989) was a box office disaster.
Mehra for more than a decade now had stopped directing films. His last directed film Bal Brahmachari (1996) was the launch pad for eccentric actor Raaj Kumar’s son Puru Raajkumar. His last produced film was the Rekha starrer Mujhe Meri Biwi Se Bachao (2001).
Mr Mehra had received a lifetime achievement award from the India Motion Picture Directors Association (IMPDA) in 2006. He had also received Lifetime Achievement as Producer from IMPAA (Indian Motion Picture Producers Association) on September 19, 2008. Prakash Mehra was one of the first Bombay directors to try venture into Hollywood. In the late eighties he tried a joint venture to make the movie The God Connection with Frank Yandolino. The movie was to include Hollywood actors such as Charles Bronson among others, but the project though funded heavily initially, never materialized. - Sampurn Media
- Prakash Mehra - creator of Bollywood's 'angry young man' (Obituary) - May 17, 2009
- Veteran filmmaker Prakash Mehra dead - May 17, 2009
- Priyanka doing 'Zanjeer', will start shooting in September - Jun 12, 2012
- Will take Salim-Javed's blessing before starting 'Zanjeer' remake: Amit Mehra - Mar 25, 2012
- Mahie Gill is Mona Darling in 'Zanjeer' remake - Apr 09, 2012
- Priyanka not yet confirmed for 'Zanjeer' remake: Apoorva Lakhia - Apr 07, 2012
- Priyanka to shoot 'Zanjeer' remake starting September - Jul 23, 2012
- Arjun Rampal no more part of 'Zanjeer' remake - Aug 27, 2012
- Two item songs in 'Zanjeer' remake, Mahie gets one - Apr 16, 2012
- UTV wins 'Thank You' title row - Apr 06, 2011
- Bollywood bids adieu to Prakash Mehra - May 19, 2009
- Remakes should be better than the original: Javed Akhtar - Apr 03, 2012
- Javed Akhtar hopes to resolve 'Zanjeer' issue amicably - Apr 23, 2012
- Amitabh visits ailing filmmaker who gave him his first hit - May 01, 2009
- Amitabh Bachchan recalls memories of Prakash Mehra - May 19, 2009
Tags: amitabh bachchan, charles bronson, crematorium, directors association, god connection, hollywood actors, last film, launch pad, lifetime achievement award, mehra, meri biwi, muqaddar ka sikandar, namak halal, producers association, production controller, puru, raaj kumar, rekha, shashi kapoor, veteran filmmaker