Veteran filmmaker Prakash Mehra deadMay 17th, 2009 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 17 (IANS) Veteran Bollywood filmmaker Prakash Mehra died here Sunday morning after a prolonged illness. He was 69.
Mehra died of pneumonia and multiple organ failure at the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, said family sources.
Mehra ventured into filmmaking with 1968 Shashi Kapoor starrrer “Haseena Maan Jayegi” followed by the 1971 hit “Mela”, which had Feroz Khan and Sanjay Khan in lead roles. However, it was Amitabh Bachchan starrer blockbuster hit “Zanjeer” (1973) that not only catapulted him into the big league but also gave the Hindi film industry its ‘angry young man’.
He later teamed up with Amitabh in hits like “Muqaddar Ka Sikandar”, “Sharabi”, “Laawaris” and “Namak Halal” before their last film together “Jaadugar” that turned out to be a dud.
Recently he was visited by Amitabh while he was in the intensive care unit in the hospital.
Mehra’s health is said to have worsened after his wife’s death. He is survived by two sons - Sumeet and Amit.
- Prakash Mehra - creator of Bollywood's 'angry young man' (Obituary) - May 17, 2009
- Veteran filmmaker Prakash Mehra passes away - May 17, 2009
- Bollywood bids adieu to Prakash Mehra - May 19, 2009
- Shashi Kapoor turns 74 - Mar 18, 2012
- Amitabh visits ailing filmmaker who gave him his first hit - May 01, 2009
- 'Zanjeer' remake launch in April - Feb 12, 2012
- Amitabh Bachchan recalls memories of Prakash Mehra - May 19, 2009
- Bob Christo played the quintessential Bollywood baddy (Obituary) - Mar 21, 2011
- Priyanka not yet confirmed for 'Zanjeer' remake: Apoorva Lakhia - Apr 07, 2012
- Priyanka doing 'Zanjeer', will start shooting in September - Jun 12, 2012
- Dara Singh critical, MRI shows damage to brain - Jul 11, 2012
- Amitabh at 66 - still an inspiration - Oct 10, 2008
- Rekha to be felicitated at IIFA - May 31, 2012
- Arjun Rampal no more part of 'Zanjeer' remake - Aug 27, 2012
- Shashi Kapoor undergoes cataract surgery - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: amitabh bachchan, angry young man, blockbuster, dud, family sources, feroz khan, halal, haseena, hindi film industry, intensive care unit, kokilaben dhirubhai ambani hospital, laawaris, last film, mela, organ failure, sanjay khan, shashi kapoor, sumeet, veteran filmmaker, zanjeer