Veteran Actor James Whitmore diesFebruary 7th, 2009 - 10:32 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
The veteran actor James Whitmore, born on October 1, 1921, outside NYC in White Plains, New York has died. The stalwart actor mainly known for his crime yarns and war action pictures, was the son of James Allen Whitmore and wife Florence Crane. Popular for his role as Capt. Benteen in the “On Thursday We Leave for Home” episode of “The Twilight Zone” (1959), considered by many fans to be the best hour-long episode in the shows history.
Whitmore was a many-faceted character actor who delivered strong performances in movies, television and especially the theatre with his popular one-man shows about Harry Truman, Will Rogers and Theodore Roosevelt. The Tony Awards and also a Theatre World Award in 1948 for his performance as Harold Evans in the stage production of “Command Decision”. His role was played by Van Johnson in the film version. An Emmy-winning actor, who was also nominated for an Oscar.
Besides Steve Whitmore, James Whitmore is survived by his third wife, Noreen; sons James Jr and Dan; and eight grandchildren.
- US actor James Whitmore dies aged 87 - Feb 07, 2009
- James Whitmore passes away at 87 - Feb 08, 2009
- Cameron wins Harold Lloyd award for 3D achievement - Feb 03, 2011
- Cyrus' new tattoo quotes Roosevelt - Jul 12, 2012
- William Windom dies - Aug 20, 2012
- Prosecutors Obtain Outcomes Of The Scrutiny By The Police Into Domestic Cruelty By Mel Gibson - Aug 26, 2010
- Kunal Kemmu excited for grandfather's Padma Shri glory - Jan 25, 2012
- Miley Cyrus gets a new tattoo - Jul 12, 2012
- Gujarati songs played at actor's funeral - May 13, 2012
- Top honours crown 'The King's Speech' at 83rd Oscars (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2011
- James MacArthur of 'Hawaii Five-O' Dies age 72 - Oct 29, 2010
- James Franco, Anne Hathaway to host 2011 Oscars - Nov 30, 2010
- Mamata announces award in Uttam Kumar's name - Jul 24, 2011
- Obama arrives at Oslo to receive Nobel Award - Dec 10, 2009
- Mumbai born US naval commander dies suddenly - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: actor james, benteen, character actor, command decision, film version, harold evans, harry truman, james allen, james whitmore, lung cancer, stage production, steve whitmore, theodore roosevelt, tony awards, twilight zone, veteran actor, war action, white plains new york, wife florence, will rogers