Veteran actor A.K. Hangal is dead (Lead)August 26th, 2012 - 11:52 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 26 (IANS) Veteran Bollywood actor A.K. Hangal passed away here Sunday morning after a prolonged illness aggravated by a recent hip fracture, a family member said. Hangal was 97.
“My father died around 9 a.m. The cause of death is mainly age-related and his lungs had also become weak and collapsed,” Hangal’s son Vijay, 76, told IANS.
“He died following lung and kidney failure after he suffered a hip fracture,” the actor’s physician Koulsoum Hossein told IANS.
“It is a great shock and loss to his family, admirers and the entire film fraternity,” said a family member at the actor’s Santacruz residence.
The veteran will be cremated Sunday afternoon at Vile Parle crematorium.
According to a hospital official, Hangal was on life-support systems for the past few days but did not respond to treatment.
Hangal was admitted to the Asha Parekh Hospital Aug 16 following a hip fracture. He had been suffering from old age health problems for a long time.
His wife passed away before and he is survived by his son, Vijay.
The actor was associated with the film industry since 1967 and worked in nearly 225 films. He is best known for his roles in “Parichay” and “Sholay”.
The actor made headlines in 2011 when it was revealed that he was struggling for livelihood as his source of income had dried up and there was hardly any money for food or medicine.
Following that, many people from the film industry, including actors Amitabh Bachchan and Aamir Khan, offered him financial support.
Hangal was last seen in a TV show, “Madhubala”, in May.
- Veteran actor A.K. Hangal is dead - Aug 26, 2012
- A.K. Hangal cremated - Aug 26, 2012
- No improvement in A.K. Hangal's condition - Aug 25, 2012
- A.K. Hangal's condition very critical - Aug 24, 2012
- He asked me if he'll die or live: Hangal's son - Aug 27, 2012
- Showing up not the only way to show respect: Ghai - Aug 28, 2012
- Hangal back in action at 97, says age no bar - May 29, 2012
- A.K.Hangal: Once an actor, always an actor (Obituary) - Aug 26, 2012
- A.K. Hangal becomes showstopper for designer Riyaz Ganji - Feb 08, 2011
- IPTA pays tribute to Hangal - Aug 27, 2012
- Grandson Aarav lights Rajesh Khanna's pyre (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Amitabh Bachchan Extends A Helping Hand Towards The Ailing A. K. Hangal - Jan 22, 2011
- A.K Hangal's performance unmatched: Gowarikar - Aug 26, 2012
- IPTA to pay tribute to A.K.Hangal - Aug 26, 2012
- My father-in-law got a funeral he deserved: Akshay Kumar - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, admirers, age health, amitabh bachchan, asha parekh, cause of death, family member, film industry, health problems, hip fracture, hossein, kidney failure, livelihood, lungs, madhubala, santacruz, sunday afternoon, veteran actor, vijay, vile parle