Vatican poised to boycott Tom Hanks-starrer Angels & DemonsMarch 24th, 2009 - 2:41 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 24 (ANI): The Vatican is considering calling for a boycott of Angels & Demons, the prequel to Hollywood blockbuster The Da Vinci Code.
The film starring Tom Hanks, which is based on the novel by Dan Brown, opens worldwide on May 15.
Avvenire, the Vatican’’s official newspaper, says in its latest edition that the church “cannot approve” of the film.
According to Italian newspaper La Stampa, the Vatican will soon call on Catholics to boycott the film.
However, the same article quoted Archbishop Velasio De Paolis warning that a boycott might create a “boomerang effect” by giving the movie publicity.
In the latest film, Hanks will be seen reprising his role as Harvard professor Robert Langdon. However, this time round he is on a mission to save the Vatican from being destroyed by a canister of anti-matter, reports The Telegraph.
Father Marco Fibbi, a Vatican spokesman, said: “Usually we read the script but in this case it wasn”t necessary. Just the name Dan Brown was enough.”
The Catholic Church was infuriated by The Da Vinci Code, which suggested that Jesus may have been secretly married to Mary Magdalene. (ANI)
- Vatican to boycott 'Angels and Demons' - Mar 24, 2009
- Vatican turns down request to shoot for Dan Brown's book - Aug 02, 2008
- Vatican bans Hanks Da Vinci Code prequel from Rome churches - Jun 17, 2008
- 'Angels and Demons' to be released in four languages May 29 - May 18, 2009
- 'Angels & Demons' rakes in Rs.19 mn in India over 1st weekend - Jun 01, 2009
- Dan Brown says he would jump on a plane if invited to meet the Pope - Oct 25, 2009
- Indian fans will enjoy 'Angels & Demons': Tom Hanks - May 03, 2009
- 'Da Vinci foresaw end of the world in 4006' - Mar 15, 2010
- Roman Catholic Church slams film about panic-prone Pope - Apr 20, 2011
- Vatican slams 'Twilight' series - Nov 21, 2009
- Da Vinci Code sequel gets September date - Apr 21, 2009
- Vatican turns down Angels and Demons shooting request - Jul 31, 2008
- New novel by 'Da Vinci Code' author - Apr 21, 2009
- Tom Hanks donates to help restore Rosslyn Chapel - Feb 08, 2010
- Controversies not behind Da Vinci Codes success, says Tom Hanks - Mar 12, 2009
Tags: amp, angels, anti matter, boomerang effect, catholic church, catholics, da vinci code, dan brown, de paolis, demons, harvard professor, hollywood blockbuster, la stampa, mary magdalene, prequel, professor robert, publicity, tom hanks, vatican, vatican spokesman