Vanilla Sky says sorry for ‘Ice ice baby’March 8th, 2009 - 11:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 8 (IANS) Fallen rap star Vanilla Ice has apologised for his hugely successful hit “Ice ice baby”, insisting he was a music industry “puppet” at the time the single was released.
The former hip-hop star, real name Robert Van Winkle, topped the US Billboard chart in 1990 making the song the first rap track to land the number one spot in the Hot 100 chart.
The hit rocketed the star into overnight superstardom, but his success was short-lived, and he faced a series of legal problems due to sampling Queen and David Bowie’s “Under pressure” on the track without permission.
Ice also came under scrutiny due to his erroneous claims about his background, in which he falsely stated he grew up as a gang member in the ghetto and went to a predominantly black high school.
Contactmusic.com reports, the star, who last released an album in 2006 and has made a string of reality show appearances, has now admitted that he is ashamed of the song which made him famous.
“I’m sorry. Even though ‘Ice ice baby’ sold over 40 million copies worldwide. I’m sorry for the hairdos, the baggy pants, the scandals and I’m sorry about the music. I was young, manipulated and I was a puppet,” he said in a video posted on YouTube.
- Denise Van Outen gives Vanilla Ice a waxing to raise money for charity - Mar 11, 2011
- Rapper Vanilla Ice to Start in DIY Television Series - Aug 04, 2010
- Vanilla Ice says he broke up with Madonna over her 'Sex' book - Jan 12, 2011
- Drake wants to be music icon - Mar 31, 2012
- Now Honey Singh set to conquer Bollywood - May 08, 2012
- A song and a story: Changing music of modern India (June 21 is World Music Day) - Jun 18, 2011
- Lil Wayne plans career hiatus - Aug 05, 2012
- Ice-skating champ Johnny Weir has no time for sex - Jan 09, 2011
- Justin Bieber will be forgotten: Vanilla Ice - Jul 25, 2011
- Actress Betty White features in Luciana Caporaso's rap video - Sep 28, 2011
- Eminem's 'No Love' Featuring Lil Wayne Premieres - Oct 01, 2010
- No rap career for Bieber - Apr 19, 2012
- Noel Gallagher calls modern pop stars rubbish - Jan 09, 2012
- Mayer cancels concerts dut to throat problem - Sep 18, 2011
- Eminem, Elton John's bizarre pairing tops surprising duets list - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: baggy pants, david bowie, erroneous claims, gang member, hairdos, hip hop star, hot 100, london march, music industry, puppet, queen and david bowie, rap star, rap track, reality show, robert van winkle, scandals, superstardom, us billboard chart, vanilla ice, vanilla sky