US youngster is new face of Mexican musical genreAugust 9th, 2012 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS
Joliet (Illinois), Aug 9 (IANS/EFE) A nine-year-old boy has become the new sensation in the Mexican musical genre known as the “corrido” after performing at festivals, rodeos and other public gatherings and attracting the attention of well-known artists.
Ironically, Adolfo Aguayo Jr. performs under the name El Viejon (The Old Man).
In an interview with EFE after a performance in Joliet, the US-born son of Mexican parents said that “I’ve wanted to be really famous for some time” and he’s on the way to achieving his dream, having performed with artists such as Ortiz, Larry Hernandez and Rogelio Martinez.
Originally from Chicago, the youngster began singing when he was three or four and accompanied his father to work. While riding in the pickup truck he turned on the radio and sang along.
But it wasn’t until last year that he made the jump to the stage, at the request of his mother who wanted to hear him sing “Arboles de la barranca” with a local band during a rodeo in Joliet.
“I never imagined that I’d get here, to the place I am,” Adolfo said, referring to his regular performances with local bands.
Young Adolfo said he was very happy to have had the chance to sing and spend time with stars of the Mexican regional music scene, especially those who “don’t talk bad”.
“It makes me angry that they speak badly all the time, that they are saying bad words when I’m here with them,” said the boy.
- Geraldo Ortiz nominated for 10 Billboard awards - Aug 26, 2011
- Gerardo Ortiz releases new album - Sep 08, 2011
- Don Omar, Prince Royce big winners at Billboard Latin awards - Apr 28, 2012
- Mexican singer to star in TV reality show - Aug 29, 2012
- Mexican singer kidnapped, shot for refusing to sing - Apr 09, 2012
- Gloria Trevi admits to stage fright - Feb 18, 2012
- Wisin, Yandel vault to No. 1 on Billboard Latin Songs - Sep 30, 2011
- Gerardo Ortiz tops Billboard Latin Albums chart - Sep 16, 2011
- Demi Lovato to perform in Chile - Jan 09, 2012
- Santos wants to sing with Alejandro Fernandez - Nov 25, 2011
- Musician blends mariachi with country - Jul 25, 2012
- Reggaeton duo include JLo in upcoming album - Mar 07, 2012
- Mexican singer needs more dental surgery after bad fall - Aug 12, 2011
- Mexican rock group to perform in US - Jun 27, 2011
- Mexican group's new album a hit - May 27, 2011
Tags: aguayo, corrido, efe, festivals, local band, local bands, mexican parents, musical genre, new face, new sensation, old man, pickup truck, public gatherings, radio, regional music scene, rodeo in joliet, rodeos, rogelio martinez, youngster