US Supreme Court doesn’t want to get involved in Eminem Royalty SuitMarch 22nd, 2011 - 12:29 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington DC, Mar 21 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The US Supreme Court won’t get involved in the suit involving Eminem and Universal Music Group. The suit has to do with royalty claim following downloads of the singer’s songs and ringtones.
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled on Monday that Eminem and his producers were entitled to 50 percent split with Universal when it comes to selling the rapper’s song digitally. According to the contract of F.B.T. Productions LLC, Eminem and his producers are entitled to as much digital ownership of Eminem’s songs as Universal does.
However under the same contract, Eminem and his producers are entitled to only 12 percent of the sales of the physical albums of Eminem. Universal has the right to the remaining percentage of the rapper’s songs.
Universal went to court for breach of contract when Eminem and F.B.T. signed a deal to have Apple’s iTunes sell the rapper’s songs online and allow downloads. The case was marked Aftermath Records v. F.B.T. Productions, LLC, 10-768.
F.B.T. is the production house that discovered Eminem back in 1995. In 1998, the rapper signed a deal with Aftermath Records with Universal selling the recordings.
- Eminem takes Apple to court over iTunes case yet again - Oct 15, 2010
- Eminem's reps deny his involvement in royalty suit against Universal - Feb 26, 2009
- Eminem, Apple download lawsuit settled - Oct 03, 2009
- Eminem's publisher suing Apple over 93 songs download - Sep 23, 2009
- Started with borrowed money, Apple becomes world's No. 1 company - Aug 11, 2011
- Hip-hop artist Nate Dogg dies at 41 - Mar 17, 2011
- Apple gets setback in patent war - Dec 10, 2011
- Apple sues Samsung over Galaxy phones, tablets - Apr 19, 2011
- Apple co-founder Steve Jobs dead at 56 - Oct 06, 2011
- Pink Floyd beat EMI in song download case - Mar 12, 2010
- Justin Bieber & Mike Gundy share ringtones - Feb 15, 2011
- Serena Williams launches debut rap song - May 12, 2012
- Lil Wayne facing lawsuit - Aug 22, 2011
- Dr. Dre premieres his video 'I Need A Doctor' starring Eminem - Feb 25, 2011
- Tim McGraw faces a lawsuit over breach of contract - May 19, 2011
Tags: aftermath records, apple, breach of contract, circuit court of appeals, court of appeals, downloads, eminem, producers, royalty, s song, supreme court, t productions, universal music group, washington dc