US scribe to depose on Dhaka trial he covered 35 years agoMarch 14th, 2011 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, March 14 (IANS) Veteran American journalist and writer Lawrence Lifschultz will depose before Dhaka High Court about a military court trial that he reported in 1976 before being expelled from the country by the then military-led government.
Lifschultz, who arrived here last Saturday, had covered the trial of Col. Abu Taher, a freedom fighter who had developed political differences with the then army chief and military strongman, Gen. Ziaur Rahman.
Lifschultz has charged that Gen. Ziaur Rahman had decided on Col. Abu Taher’s execution before the formation of the military tribunal that eventually sentenced Taher to death.
Lifschultz will appear before the bench of Justice A.H.M. Shamsuddin Chowdhury Manik and Justice Sheikh Md. Zakir Hossain to which he had earlier sent an affidavit giving his version of the case, M.K. Rahman, additional attorney general, told The Daily Star.
The high court is hearing a writ petition that challenged the legality of the martial law regulation under which a military tribunal was formed and Col. Taher was sentenced to death.
A Pulitzer Prize winner, Lifschultz, on being expelled from Dhaka, had recorded the trial and related political upheavals in Bangladesh after the assassination of its founder, president Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, in a book titled “Bangladesh: The Unfinished Revolution”.
Ziaur Rahman, who went on to become the country’s president, was also killed in May 1981.
His widow, Khaleda Zia, served as prime minister for two terms and is currently the leader of opposition in parliament.
- Ziaur Rahman 'passively involved' in Mujib murder: US scribe - Mar 15, 2011
- Zia blamed for rebel's hanging - Feb 04, 2011
- Dhaka court reopens trial, hanging of 1971 war hero - Aug 24, 2010
- BNP protests court indictment of Ziaur Rahman - Mar 24, 2011
- Bangladesh observes Ziaur Rahman's death anniversary - May 30, 2011
- 1975 Dhaka killings: Government may appeal against accused - Jan 11, 2011
- Bangladesh apex court upholds Zia's eviction - Nov 29, 2010
- Bangladesh court invalidates ex-military ruler's laws - May 15, 2011
- Mujib killers to seek death verdict review - Nov 20, 2009
- Hasina vows retrial of those who killed leaders in 1975 - Nov 04, 2009
- Retired Indian Army officer to get Bangladesh award - Jun 25, 2012
- Coup attempt: Hasina says she wants democracy, peace - Jan 20, 2012
- Five-judge bench to resume trial in Sheikh Mujibur's murder - Oct 04, 2009
- Death warrants issued for five Mujib killers (Lead) - Jan 03, 2010
- Bangladesh observes formation of provisional government - Apr 17, 2011
Tags: chowdhury, court trial, founder president, freedom fighter, hossain, khaleda zia, leader of opposition, manik, military court, military strongman, military tribunal, political differences, political upheavals, pulitzer prize winner, shamsuddin, unfinished revolution, veteran american journalist, writ petition, writer lawrence, zakir