US newspaper columnist dubs Heath Ledger reckless and selfishFebruary 8th, 2008 - 4:54 pm ICT by admin
Melbourne, Feb 8 (ANI): A US newspaper columnist has slammed Heath Ledger, describing the late actor reckless, greedy and selfish.
Andrea Peyser wrote in her column of New York Post that she was disgusted by the actors option to self-destruct with prescription drugs.
The criticism comes on the day when a private funeral is expected to be held in Perth for the star, ruled to have died from an accidental overdose of drugs.
Peyser said that the 28-year-old actor had paid little regard for his daughter, Matilda, ex-fiancee Michelle Williams or his parents.
“There is nothing noble or beautiful about the so-called accidental death of Heath Ledger, a man with everything to live for - a beautiful daughter, a blossoming career, and a Victoria’s Secret catalogue-full of willing babes,” News.com.au quoted her, as stating in her column.
“He threw it away, as gamely as if he had put a gun to his mouth and pulled the trigger. He was reckless and greedy. He was fundamentally selfish.
“Now his daughter will grow up never knowing the man she worshipped from birth; his parents must bury a son they cherished,” she added.
Peyser further said that people should not cry for Ledger.
“Cry for Heath’s daughter. Cry for his parents. Cry for Michelle Williams. But don’t cry for Heath,” she said.
However, Peysers criticism has sparked controversy with TV talk shows that are debating the columnists view.
According to Whoopi Goldberg, a co-host on the US morning TV show, The View, the columnist was pot-shotting.
“If you’re going to say ‘cry for his wife and cry for his daughter’ then you cannot sit there and not cry for him,” Goldberg said.
Elisabeth Hasselback co-host on The View, said the column was irresponsible.
“I thought ‘You don’t know him’. For me, it just made me sad because he was dealing with some demons be it depression or anxiety or a lack of sleep, Hasselback said.
“To not know someone’s situation and certainly not knowing their intention, to make those claims, I thought was slightly irresponsible,” she added. (ANI)
- Michelle Williams wants daughter to see 'Brokeback Mountain' - Dec 31, 2010
- Michelle Williams to launch yoga centre - Jan 12, 2011
- Heath Ledger has left an irreplaceable hole in my life: Michelle Williams - Jan 14, 2011
- Is Michelle Williams dating Jason Segel? - Mar 31, 2012
- Michelle Williams won't let daughter watch Oscar - Feb 09, 2012
- Ledger's split from Michelle Williams 'made him snap', says Terry Gilliam - Jul 01, 2009
- Michelle Williams loves short hair - Nov 04, 2011
- Ledger responsible for his death, says his dad - Jul 09, 2009
- Watching Heath Ledger was dazzling: Oldman - Jul 03, 2012
- Michelle loves hand-stitched costumes - Mar 31, 2011
- Matlida Rose Ledger turned four this week - Oct 31, 2009
- Williams wont bring daughter up in LA to avoid media circus - Feb 23, 2009
- When Joker made Batman cry - Jun 06, 2012
- Ledger's Golden Globe to be given to daughter Matilda - Jan 14, 2009
- Michelle Williams opens up about her life since Heath Ledger's death - Dec 22, 2010
Tags: accidental overdose, andrea peyser, beautiful daughter, co host, daughter cry, don t cry, elisabeth hasselback, heath ledger, lack of sleep, michelle williams, morning tv, new york post, news com au, newspaper columnist, prescription drugs, private funeral, secret catalogue, shotting, tv talk shows, whoopi goldberg