US model Shanna Moakler stands up for gay marriageApril 30th, 2009 - 5:54 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 30 (ANI): American model Shanna Moakler has decided to make it very clear that she was “hurt and upset” by first runner up in Miss USA 2009 pageant Carrie Prejean’s comment about gay and lesbian marriage.
Moakler, 34, was upset by Prejean saying that a “marriage should be between a man and a woman”, and she has decided to make a stand for what she believed in - the right for gay and lesbian couples to marry.
The model was in North Hollywood on April 28 with co-executive state pageant director Keith Lewis as they prepared Miss USA 2006 first runner-up Tamiko Nash and last year’s Miss California Raquel Beezley to shoot a NO H8 Campaign.
The campaign hopes to raise awareness and eventually have Proposition 8 over-turned in California.
“It’s important for us right now to participate in this, especially given the conversation surrounding Miss California. We’re here showing we’re a family, we agree to disagree and support our beliefs,” Fox News quoted Lewis as saying, as Moakler nodded in agreement.
“It’s been a difficult time but we want to show that there are a lot of different families, I was raised by a single mom, and I am dad to two children that are being raised by two moms. Can’t we all just love each other and get along and celebrate the fact that people are able to find true love?
“We are working through it; we’re a family in resolution. We really want to give Carrie an opportunity to express her beliefs, the Miss California system is about empowering women to be strong and independent and stand up for whatever they believe in.
“So as soon as Carrie is done explaining her beliefs we really look forward to her coming back to our platform. I’m proud that she was able to stand there and utter whatever it was that came out of her mouth. I’m a 45-year-old man and I don’t think I could explain myself to millions of people,” he added. (ANI)
- Carrie Prejean sues Miss California organization over discrimination - Sep 01, 2009
- Former Miss California USA Carrie Prejean Sues Pageant Officials - Sep 01, 2009
- Miss California Carrie Prejean Severely Criticized - Apr 22, 2009
- Ex-Miss USA says Sarah Palin can offer 'so much more' - Jul 10, 2009
- Former Miss California USA Carrie Prejean sues pageant officials - Sep 01, 2009
- Carrie Prejean's lawyer sues over XXX video leak - Nov 11, 2010
- Miss California Carrie Prejean dumped again - Jun 11, 2009
- Donald Trump to make the final call on Miss USA runner-up's fate - May 12, 2009
- Shanna Moakler quits Miss USA over Miss California controversy - May 14, 2009
- Chelsea Gilligan Releases PSA with Miss California USA Organization - May 12, 2009
- Carrie Prejean To Return Surgery Money To Pageant - Oct 21, 2009
- Miss California Carrie Prejean may be stripped of her crown - May 07, 2009
- Miss California Carrie Prejean stripped of her crown - Jun 11, 2009
- Former beauty queen Carrie Prejean to wed NFL quarterback Kyle Boller - Jun 30, 2010
- Miley Cyrus supports gay marriages - Apr 22, 2009
Tags: american model, california system, carrie, empowering women, fact that people, fox news, gay and lesbian couples, gay marriage, lesbian marriage, man and a woman, miss california, miss usa 2006, north hollywood, pageant director, prejean, raquel, shanna moakler, single mom, state pageant, tamiko nash