US abuzz with ‘wedding of the century’July 31st, 2010 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
By Arun Kumar
New York, July 31 (IANS) The picturesque small town of Rhinebeck, about 150 km from here, is all abuzz for former first daughter Chelsea Clinton’s marriage Saturday billed as the “wedding of the decade” and “wedding of the century” by a frenzied media.
On the eve of the “top-secret” wedding of the daughter of former first couple Bill and Hillary Clinton, tiny Rhinebeck is undergoing a transformation from a sleepy little town to media Mecca.
Chelsea Clinton, 30, and investment banker Marc Mezvinsky, 32, will wed on Saturday night at Astor Courts, a 50-acre estate along the Hudson River as a local daily Hudson Valley News reported. Many guests will reportedly stay nearby at the Beekman Arms, billed as the oldest operating inn in America.
A slim and smiling Bill Clinton pulled into Rhinebeck in a black Suburban SUV around lunchtime Friday, casually dressed and looking fit on the eve of daughter Chelsea’s big wedding.
Giving his future son-in-law a public seal of approval he said: “I like him very much. I really do. I admire him. Hillary feels the same way.”
“Today is the most beautiful day ever,” Clinton declared after sharing a pasta lunch with brother Roger, another relative and a friend in the small upstate town.
The crowd let out a huge roar when Clinton - in a black polo shirt and jeans - exited GiGi Trattoria. His party of four took a back table at the local Italian restaurant.
“Thank you, thank you,” Clinton told the crowd before leaving about an hour and 45 minutes after his arrival.
Various reports mention the wedding will be catered by a combination of Blue Ribbon Restaurants, St. Regis Hotels and Resorts and Olivier Cheng Catering and Events.
The New York Daily News says chef Laura Pensiero, whose GiGi Trattoria opened nine years ago in Rhinebeck, is one of the caterers. “I can’t talk about it,” Pensiero told the Daily News. “How did you find out?”
Boston-based Winston Flowers, whose previous clients include Cartier, Gucci and Veuve Cliquot Champagne, will provide floral arrangements, as will floral designer Jeff Leatham, according to the Wall Street Journal. Leatham is the artistic director of the Four Seasons Hotel George V in Paris, according to his website.
AisleDash.com reports that because of a food allergy Chelsea Clinton has asked for a gluten-free wedding cake. The bride-to-be has been a vegan for years. The English newspaper Daily Mail says it’s an $11,000, five-tier cake.
Said to number between 400 and 500, the guest list is rumoured to include Barbra Streisand, Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey, Terry McAuliffe, Ted Turner and former British PMs Tony Blair and John Major. But President Barack Obama hasn’t been invited or so he claims.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- 'Fit' Bill Clinton arrived in Rhinebeck on the eve of daughter's wedding - Jul 31, 2010
- Obama not invited to Chelsea Clinton's wedding (Lead) - Jul 29, 2010
- Chelsea Clinton Looks Stunning In Vera Wang Ivory Gown - Aug 01, 2010
- Chelsea Clinton Weds Beau Marc Mezvinsky In Rhinebeck - Aug 01, 2010
- Obama, Winfrey among guests invited for Chelsea Clinton's wedding - Jul 14, 2010
- Mary Steenburgen And Ted Danson At Chelsea Clinton's Wedding - Aug 01, 2010
- Obama says he's not been invited to Chelsea Clinton's wedding - Jul 29, 2010
- FAA restricts flights during Chelsea Clinton's wedding - Jul 30, 2010
- Chelsea Clinton's 'Wedding of the Century" at Hudson Valley hamlet - Jul 07, 2010
- Obama not invited for Chelsea Clinton's wedding - Jul 29, 2010
- Chelsea Clinton Wedding Keeps Police On Their Toes - Jul 16, 2010
- Chelsea marries banker in America's `wedding of the century' (Third Lead) - Aug 01, 2010
- Some Secrets Of The Impending Wedding Of Chelsea Clinton Have Seeped Out - Jul 16, 2010
- Chelsea Clinton Exchange Vows With Longtime Boyfriend Marc Mezvinsky - Aug 02, 2010
- 'Chelsea theme park' in Rhinebeck - Aug 01, 2010
Tags: arun kumar, beekman arms, bill and hillary, black polo shirt, blue ribbon, brother roger, chelsea clinton, daughter chelsea, hillary clinton, marc mezvinsky, media mecca, new york daily news, pasta lunch, public seal, secret wedding, sleepy little town, st regis hotels, town of rhinebeck, wedding of the century, winston flowers