Union sues Spider-Man on behalf of Julie TaymorJune 10th, 2011 - 11:18 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, June 10 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The troubles for the Broadway show “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” continued as the owners of the theater were sued on behalf of the original director by a union. The suit which was filed on Thursday is urging the court to force the production to pay any amount owed by Julie Taymor to her.
The suit claimed that the producers of the show have refused to reward Julie any royalties for the theatrical play. Julie was the director of the show as well as the co-writer. She was however fired from the show in March at the height of the many accidents and problem that the show faced. The production has so far cost the producers $70 million plus several accidents and mishaps.
The suit was filed by the Stage Directors and Choreographers Society. The suit stated that the producers of the show “failed to pay to Ms. Taymor any royalties for the run of the production.”
At a point, some observers thought the musical would not be possible because of the many accidents that the show suffered. The accidents and the many problems came at a great cost to the show.
A leading producer of the show Michael Cohl revealed recently that the show was in trouble financially. Cohl blamed the losses on the fact that the show was reworked again.
After the delays, the reboot of the show opened on Tuesday.
- 'Spider-Man' musical director Taymor to be replaced by McKinley - Mar 11, 2011
- Spider-Man musical goes on a 3-week hiatus - Apr 19, 2011
- 'Spider-Man' Broadway rescheduled yet again - Jan 14, 2011
- Spider-Man stunt actor walking again after 30ft fall - Dec 27, 2010
- 'Spider-Man' Finally Previews On Broadway - Nov 29, 2010
- Director of Spider-Man musical quits over show's music - Mar 10, 2011
- Julie Taymor Says No To ‘Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark’ Chat - Dec 31, 2010
- It was a tough decision to leave 'Spider-Man' $65 million musical: Mendoza - Jan 01, 2011
- Actor in the Broadway production of 'Spiderman' injured - Dec 05, 2010
- More trouble surfaces in 'Spider-Man' musical - Dec 18, 2010
- 'Spider Man' musical to make Broadway debut in December - Aug 12, 2010
- Spider-Man wasn't in any danger: Show's spokesperson - Feb 12, 2011
- "Spider-Man" Musical Actor Kevin Aubin Breaks His Wrist - Oct 31, 2010
- Natalie Mendoza leaves Broadway's Spider-Man musical after accident - Dec 29, 2010
- "Spider-Man" Debuts On Broadway But Not Without Glitches - Nov 30, 2010