Unfortunate that Emraan’s kisses still make news: Prachi DesaiJuly 14th, 2010 - 9:33 am ICT by IANS
By Dibyojyoti Baksi
Mumbai, July 14 (IANS) Emraan Hashmi’s bad boy image doesn’t bother Prachi Desai, who plays his love interest in the forthcoming underworld drama “Once Upon A Time In Mumbai”. She says people should talk about her co-star’s achievements as an actor rather his on-screen kisses.
“Working with Emraan was one of my fondest experiences so far. He is one of my favourite co-actors,” Prachi, 21, who made her big screen debut as Farhan Akhtar’s wife in “Rock On!”, told IANS in an interview.
“May be because he has worked with new faces in most of his films, he has huge patience. When I was working with him, I was extremely comfortable. He has no hang-ups. He doesn’t behave like a star; rather he will make you feel comfortable.
“I think it’s high time he really got credit. He has given so many hits but even till date unfortunately what people talk about is his kissing scenes,” she added.
In “Once Upon A Time In Mumbai”, Prachi plays a conservative Muslim girl in the 1970s and she made yesteryear actress Mumtaz a reference point while doing the role.
“I play a Muslim girl, who is conservative, honest and poised. It is different from the roles I have played in my earlier films. It’s more intense. The point of reference for my character was Mumtazji of that time.”
Prachi also dresses like Dimple Kapadia in “Bobby” in one of the scenes. “Sorry, I am nowhere close to her,” said Prachi who wears the famous polka dress worn by Dimple.
Directed by Milan Luthria and produced by Ekta Kapoor, the film is said to be inspired by two underworld figures, Haji Mastan and Dawood Ibrahim, in their initial days.
But Prachi insists the filmmakers have taken just a few references.
“It’s not a biopic. I am sure there are lots of things that they (filmmakers) have taken inspiration from. They have used real life instances, but it’s not particularly of a person and his past. It has a lot of different things that have been put together,” said Prachi.
Prachi started her career with TV soap “Kasamh Se”.
The actress maintains that her performance in “Rock On!” helped her in bagging the role in “Once Upon a Time in Mumbai” that also has Ajay Devgn and Kangana Ranaut.
“When you have National Award winners like Ajay and Kangana, a good actor like Emraan as your co-stars, you have to give your best to get noticed in the film,” she said.
(Dibyojyoti Baksi can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Emraan plays underworld don in 'Once Upon A Time...' - Jul 12, 2010
- Prachi Desai dons the Bobby Attire for her Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai. - Jun 16, 2010
- It's not Haji Mastan's life story: Ajay Devgn (Interview) - Jul 30, 2010
- My character in new film mix of Madhubala, Haji Mastan's wife: Kangana - Jun 20, 2010
- Smugglers, cabaret - 1970s era comes alive in 'Once Upon...' (IANS Preview) - Jul 26, 2010
- Prachi Desai new femme fatale in tinsel town! - Jun 10, 2011
- Outsiders are not taken seriously in Bollywood: Prachi Desai - Jul 04, 2012
- Haji Mastan's daughter files affidavit against Balaji Telefilms - Jul 27, 2010
- Waited long to play my age on screen: Prachi Desai - Apr 11, 2012
- 'Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai' set for July 30 release(With Images) - May 31, 2010
- If kissing is a way to remember me, so be it: Emraan Hashmi (Interview) - Sep 06, 2011
- Emraan had a learning experience with Ajay (Film Snippets) - Aug 01, 2010
- I'm not going back to TV: Prachi Desai - May 12, 2012
- Prachi wants to be paired with Devgn on screen - Jun 26, 2012
- I had forgotten I acted in 'Slumdog...': Anjum Sharma - Jul 20, 2010
Tags: actress mumtaz, baksi, biopic, dawood ibrahim, dimple kapadia, ekta kapoor, emraan hashmi, farhan akhtar, hang ups, initial days, life instances, love interest, mastan, muslim girl, new faces, prachi desai, screen debut, time in mumbai, underworld drama, underworld figures