‘Ullasa Uthsaha’ - an enjoyable movie for family audience (Kannada Movie Review)May 2nd, 2010 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
By V.S. Rajapur
Film: “Ullasa Uthsaha”; Cast: Ganesh, Yami Gautham, Rangayana Raghu, Sharan and others; Director: Devaraj Palan; Producer: Thyagaraju; Music Director: G.V. Prakash Kumar; Rating: ***
Ganesh has been lucky with romantic comedies ever since he hit the jackpot with blockbuster “Mungaru Male”. He tried to reinvent himself in action-based stories, but it didn’t work and a dip was witnessed in his popularity. Sensing that he has to do what audience expected from him, Ganesh struck back with “Maleyali Jotheyali”. Now his “Ullasa Uthsaha” has been released after a lot of dilly-dallying.
The film has a tailor-made role for Ganesh and his fans will enjoy seeing him.
“Ullasa Uthsaha”, a remake of Telugu hit “Ulasanga Uthsahanga”, is a welcome relief for the Kannada audience. Director Karunakaran, who had directed the original Telugu version, is known for making super hit films with very simple stories. Devaraja Palan, who has directed the Kannada version, faithfully follows the original. But he could have done a better job in the dialogues department. And he should have also done his homework.
The highlight of the film is that it chooses a different style of narration. What makes the film enjoyable are the light-hearted comedy sequences and a few touching moments in the second half. All in all, the film is bound to attract young and the family audiences because of entertaining elements and songs.
The best part about the movie is the first half, which is full of entertaining elements. The comedy sequences featuring Ganesh, Rangayana Raghu, Sadhu Kokila and Sharan are really good. There are many incidents in the second half that look forced. The climax is sentimental and could be the trump card of the film.
The film is about Preetam, an irresponsible young man who is in love with Mahalakshmi, but she wants to marry her childhood sweet heart Balaji and is searching for him. When Mahalakshmi refuses to marry Preetam, he tries to help her and takes her to Kolkata to find Balaji. They find him and what happens later forms the climax.
Ganesh excels in his performance. His comic scenes are the highlight of the movie. In the second half, he impresses in emotional sequences too. Newcomer Yami Gautham looks attractive in the songs but she need to hone her acting skills.
Rangayana Raghu, Sharan, Sadhu Kokila have done a good job.
G.V. Prakash’s music and Seetharam’s superb cinemetography add style to the film. The songs “Chalisuva Chaluve” and “Love Maade Nanne” have stylish visuals. Editing is sharp and precise.
An enjoyable fare for family audience. The film is a treat for Ganesh’s fans.
- 'Romeo' - stylish entertainer on true love (Kannada Movie Review) - Jul 07, 2012
- 'Rambo', a complete entertainer (Kannada Movie Review) - Sep 09, 2012
- '90' a good experiment (Kannada Movie Review) - Sep 04, 2011
- Ullasa Utsaha ready for release - Nov 28, 2009
- Weak script makes 'Rama Rama Raghurama' ordinary movie (Kannada Movie Review) - Mar 06, 2011
- 'Hendtheera Darbar' - a flop show (Kannada Movie Review) - Jul 04, 2010
- 'Sanju Weds Geetha' entertaining and engaging drama (Kannada Movie Review) - Apr 03, 2011
- Poor script spoils 'Kho Kho' (Kannada Movie Review) - Jan 15, 2012
- 'Janoo' - weak, but worth one time watch (Kannada Movie Review) - Jun 02, 2012
- 'Johny Mera Naam...' lacks punch (Kannada Movie Review) - Jun 05, 2011
- Puneet starrer 'Raam' money's worth (Kannada Film Review) - Dec 27, 2009
- Watch 'Breaking News' for Radhika-Ajay's performance (Kannada Movie Review) - May 20, 2012
- Harish Raj's directorial venture 'Gun' passable (Kannada Film Review, Rating **) - Feb 26, 2011
- Avoid 'Aaptha', a half-baked, boring movie (Kannada Movie Review) - Feb 27, 2011
- 'Shyloo' not as good as original, but watchable (Kannada Movie Review) - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: balaji, blockbuster, climax, dialogues, different style, dilly, family audience, family audiences, gautham, karunakaran, kokila, mahalakshmi, music director, narration, prakash kumar, romantic comedies, sharan, sweet heart, trump card, welcome relief