Ukrainians protest censorship of TV channelSeptember 9th, 2012 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kiev, Sep 9 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Hundreds of people protested in Kiev in support of an independent cable TV channel that has claimed it is being censored after several operators suspended its broadcasts.
Protesters in the Ukrainian capital held banners with slogans such as “Stop censorship” and “TVi is the last frontier of freedom”.
Similar demonstrations were held in other cities.
The action comes after TVi was taken off air in 11 regions across the country, in a move that it says was prompted by pressure from the authorities.
TVi has been critical of President Viktor Yanukovych and his government.
But operator Triolan denied it had come under pressure, citing internal issues for the decision.
A number of high-profile opposition figures, including Arseniy Yatsenyuk, leader of the Front for Change party, joined the protest in Kiev.
Authorities have made no comments.
- Ukraine ex-PM gets 7-year jail for abuse of office - Oct 11, 2011
- Putin urges Ukraine to join new Russian space centre project - Apr 13, 2011
- Downpour floods Kiev's Euro 2012 fan zone - Jun 07, 2012
- Topless protest at Euro 2012 trophy display - May 13, 2012
- MPs scuffle in Ukraine parliament (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Scuffle in Ukrainian parliament over Russian language - May 25, 2012
- Ukrainians vote in presidential runoff - Feb 07, 2010
- Ukraine urges global efforts to tackle man-made disasters - Apr 26, 2011
- Ukraine's opposition leader Tymoshenko charged with additional offense - Jan 27, 2011
- Ukraine to sell at least 7 energy companies - Apr 12, 2011
- Ukraine, NATO to carry out radioactive clean-up - Jun 25, 2011
- Women detained for topless protest in Ukraine - Sep 27, 2011
- Toll in Ukrainian mine accidents climbs to 37 - Jul 31, 2011
- Medvedev to propose blueprint for greater nuclear safety - Apr 26, 2011
- Ukraine's Euro 2012 preparations enter home stretch: President - May 31, 2012
Tags: authorities, broadcasts, cable tv channel, demonstrations, freedom, kiev, last frontier, opposition figures, protest censorship, protesters, ria novosti, slogans, tvi, ukrainian capital, ukrainians, viktor yanukovych