‘Ugly Aur Pagli’ songs are peppy, enjoyable (Music Review)June 30th, 2008 - 11:11 am ICT by IANS
By Meghna Menon
Film: “Ugly Aur Pagli”; Music Composer: Anu Malik; Lyricist: Amitabh Verma; Singers: Shaan, Mika Singh, Anmol Malik, Anu Malik, Anushka Manchanda, Ishq Bector, Dibyendu Mukherjee, Vasundhara Das, Mohit Chauhan, Sunidhi Chauhan, Krishna, Hard Kaur; Music Rights; Ratings: *** Comedies don’t always have great audio tracks, but there are exceptions. And “Ugly Aur Pagli” is one of them. Anu Malik’s compositions are young and vibrant without sounding too mushy or immature.
Ishq Bector of “Aye hip hopper” fame seems to be the flavour of the season. He sings “Karle gunah ankhiya milake” along with Anushka Manchanda. The track is a Punjabi-cum-Hindi one with shades of rap and hip-hop. It is fun, playful and peppy and singers do complete justice to the song. Kudos to Anu Malik for making it an interesting piece!
Next is “Shut up aa nachle”, which is sung by Anu Malik, Vasundhara Das and Dibyendu Mukherjee. It has a Latin flavour to it and lyrics by Amitabh Verma are in Hinglish. While Vasundhara’s voice is very soothing, Anu’s rendition doesn’t really match up.
“Talli main talli ho gayi” is a sure shot dance number. Rendered by Hard Kaur, Anmol Malik and Mika, the song has a mix of Punjabi-Hindi lyrics that are innovative and good-humoured.
As soon as you see Mohit Chauhan’s name on the credits of “Yeh nazar aaye jaaye”, you know the song shouldn’t disappoint. No doubts, the singer has rendered yet another commendable piece that boasts of romantic music and lyrics.
“Yeh nazar aur ye” follows - an absolutely peppy and sprightly track. And Sunidhi’s vivacious rendition does complete justice to the composition. It is a love piece that has a contemporary touch to it. While it is not a chartbuster hit, it won’t sink without a trace either.
“Ugly Aur Pagli” offers enjoyable music and the songs have a special zing in them. It definitely makes for some interesting hear.
- 'Dum Maaro Dum' music offers variety (IANS Music Review) - Mar 21, 2011
- Go 'talli', go 'tunn' on Bollywood tunes - Jan 03, 2012
- It's time to party, says Indian music industry - Apr 03, 2011
- Bollywood swayed to retro beats this year (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 19, 2010
- 'Shirin Farhad...' soundtrack laced with romantic tones (IANS music review) - Aug 07, 2012
- Shortcomings abound, 'Tezz' soundtrack still leaves a mark (IANS Music Review) - Apr 22, 2012
- 'Allah Ke Banday' offers entertaining songs for all (IANS Music Review) - Oct 07, 2010
- Anu Malik's daughter graduates to songwriting - Oct 06, 2011
- Lack of freshness in 'Always Kabhi Kabhi' album (IANS Music Review) - May 22, 2011
- Pritam packs in retro feel in 'Golmaal 3' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Oct 14, 2010
- Yeh Saali Zindagi: Nishat Khan Fails To Impress With His Music - Jan 22, 2011
- 'Tanu Weds Manu' music an eclectic mix (IANS Music Review) - Feb 13, 2011
- Sachin-Jigar Rocks With Krantiveer Music - Jun 03, 2010
- 'Pee loon' stands out in 'Once Upon A Time...' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Jul 02, 2010
- Instrumental tunes save 'Joker' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: anmol malik, anushka manchanda, chartbuster, dance number, enjoyable music, gayi, hinglish, hip hopper, ishq bector, latin flavour, mohit, music and lyrics, music composer, music rights, nazar, pagli, rap and hip hop, romantic music, sunidhi chauhan, vasundhara das