UAE’s First Indian Music Choir To Revive The Legendary Sufi SaintsJune 22nd, 2010 - 6:25 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
June 22, 2010 (Sampurn Wire): “Malhaar’ is the first Indian music choir in Dubai. The music group is trying to explore and unravel the mystical world of Sufism. They will take help from the art of music, poetry and theater to relate the stories of renowned Sufi saints.
The “Rooh-e-Ishq’ will be presented here this week, which will trace the voyage of Sufism through numerous lands and languages starting from the dancing dervishes of Persia to the qawwals of Punjab. The lives and works of four Sufi legends will also be brought together by this. The four legends are Jalalud’din Rumi, Bulleh Shah, Amir Khusro and Kabir.
The members of the music choir are UAE-based Indian singers and instrumentalists in an age group ranging from 7 to 40. They try to blend the Indian music system with the disciplined harmony of a western choir.
The group members believe that “Malhaar’ is a celebration of India’s “unity in diversity’ through music. Their journey aims to unite the emigrant Indians through the musical chords and share the rich musical heritage of India with the world.
The Hindustani musician Jogiraj Sikidar is heading the choir. Sikidar has been giving performance and teaching Indian classical and choral music since the last 20 years.
– Sampurn Wire
- Shillong choir founder named to World Choir Council - May 31, 2012
- Global Sufi music fest in capital - Feb 04, 2012
- Amir Khusrau's legacy to come alive again (With image) - Feb 27, 2011
- 'Sufis of Punjab' - Building bridges across borders (IANS Book Review) - Aug 30, 2011
- Indian choir to perform in Toronto - Aug 09, 2011
- Lankan performers in India with classical repertoire - Aug 21, 2011
- Social Islam biased against freedom of arts: Filmmaker Shama Zaidi - Apr 29, 2012
- Creating monsoon music with ancient rain-maker - Jul 10, 2012
- Baha'i choir returns to capital after 24 years (With Images) - Jun 26, 2010
- Sufism binds millions of hearts in subcontinent: Abida Parveen - Feb 28, 2012
- Seven global musicians make melody without boundaries (With Images) - Jan 31, 2010
- Park Ridge Singers Perform In India Tour - Jul 16, 2010
- Big B teams up with Shillong Chamber Choir - Sep 04, 2012
- Ajmer set to host first global Sufi fest - Sep 22, 2011
- Rumi, myth and cricket on book shelf (IANS Books This Week) - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,