Two held for murder of Honduran journalistMay 19th, 2012 - 12:12 pm ICT by IANS
Tegucigalpa, May 19 (IANS/EFE) Two people have been arrested in connection with the abduction and murder of journalist Alfredo Villatoro, the head of the Honduran National Police said.
The tactics used in Villatoro’s kidnapping were “atypical, as if (meant) to confuse” authorities, Jose Ricardo Ramirez told the international press.
Ramirez described the two people arrested Thursday only as a man and a woman.
Police Wednesday also questioned two people serving time at Danli prison in eastern Honduras on suspicion that they were involved in relaying ransom demands to Villatoro’s family.
The 47-year-old Villatoro was kidnapped May 9 in Tegucigalpa while driving to radio station HRN, where he had been employed for two decades and worked as news coordinator.
His body was found around 6.30 p.m. Tuesday, a few hours after Lobo said there was evidence the journalist was still alive.
The kidnappers placed a red bandana on Villatoro’s head and dressed him in a National Police uniform, media reports said.
The captors were not really after money, according to Lobo and Ramirez, who said the 2 million lempiras ($103,359) demanded for Villatoro’s safe return was a paltry amount given that at least a dozen people were involved in the crime.
“We can’t say for sure what is happening until we conclude the investigation,” Ramirez said.
The manner of Villatoro’s killing - two shots to the head - and the fact that the killers dressed him in a police uniform indicate the involvement of organized crime, Ramirez said.
At about the same time the police director was talking to reporters, his official driver was dying after being shot.
Francisco Pavon was shopping at the Alvarez market in Tegucigalpa when three men accosted him “to rob his gun, with which they shot him”, the victim’s daughter, Miriam Pavon, told reporters.
The 54-year-old officer died shortly after the shooting, according to the police report.
- Journalist kidnapped in Honduras - May 10, 2012
- Reporter murdered in Honduras - Dec 29, 2010
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
- Probe sought into Honduran journalist's murder - Dec 30, 2010
- Journalist slain in Dominican Republic - Aug 03, 2011
- Cops beat protesting journalists in Honduras - Dec 14, 2011
- Activist, wife, slain in Honduras - Aug 23, 2011
- 58 gays, lesbians slain this year in Honduras - Dec 15, 2011
- TV cameraman slain in El Salvador - Apr 27, 2011
- Honduran journalist's killer gets jail term of 28 years - Sep 12, 2012
- Radio host murdered in Honduras - Aug 26, 2010
- Ricky Martin expresses solidarity with flood victims - Oct 18, 2011
- Assailants kill two wounded men at Honduran hospital - Sep 15, 2011
- Journalist slain in Honduras - Dec 07, 2011
- Media worker slain in Venezuela - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: daughter miriam, eastern honduras, francisco pavon, hrn, jose ricardo, kidnappers, man and a woman, national police, organized crime, paltry amount, police director, police report, police uniform, ransom demands, red bandana, ricardo ramirez, safe return, serving time, two shots, woman police